Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Doll Show - Strongsville, Ohio - February 27th, 2022

I wouldn't have even known about this doll show, if Tam hadn't emailed me and asked me if I was going. It took place in the same location as the show from last year's post. (I did some posts after that one, showing everything* that I bought at that show.) I wasn't aware that there are doll shows held here twice a year, and not just once. Tam has already put up her post about the show. I was going to work on mine yesterday, but that morning Mr. BTEG got a text from his sister, saying that she and her husband were at the community college only about 15 minutes from our house, to watch their daughter playing volleyball with her travel team. So Mr. BTEG, the Dancer, and I spent the day with my in-laws, ending up down at the lake. There's only a little bit of ice left from the winter.


I didn't take as many pictures at the show as Tam did, but at least mine are all of different things than hers. :)

This is a knock-off Sunshine Family set of three dolls. I didn't know Sunshine Family knock-offs existed until I saw these three.

I felt sorry for the boxed doll on the left. Buy some canned air and get some of that dust off of her! That doll on the right is throwing her some serious side eye.

 

I liked the way the seller had these Japanese dolls arranged on the red steps. It reminded me of the way dolls are displayed for the Japanese doll festival Hinamatsuri, although none of these dolls looked right for the actual festival set-up.

A blast from the past with Pinkie Cooper dolls, plus a Disney Descendants, Monster High, Skipper with tan lines, and what looks like a Miss Revlon doll.

A beautiful Kitty Collier doll in the vinyl. This was probably my favorite Kitty ever produced.

Somebody didn't like Ken's man bun, but then didn't know what to do with him. There were lots and lots of 90s-to-modern Barbie dolls in boxes.

Some My Twinn dolls. I think that's a Tiffany Taylor from the 70s standing behind them.

I loved this felt Lenci doll's felt dress, even though it looks super heavy and thick. I'm not sure if Gene Simmons is showing his approval of the dress, or making a rude gesture. To the right, you can see the Blythe doll Tam showed in her post.

I was interested in the Rub-a-Dub dolly in box, because I had one of my own as a child. Actually, I still do have mine somewhere.

Mine is not in the box, and I don't know if she comes with all of her accessories. She has her hooded towel, and I think her diaper on underneath. My mom made her a flannel bathrobe. I never had the floating vanity and shower.

These dolls are genuine Mattel dolls that use the Sunshine Family Steffie face mold and body for a series of "patriotic" dolls from around 1976.

I loved this group of antique dollhouses, horse stable, and toy fort that I saw all at one table. The first house in this group is marked Gottschalk, which I guessed. I follow someone's blog who collects these older dollhouses, but she hasn't posted in a very long time, and I have forgotten the blog title. Anyway, my thought is that these are all Gottschalk, because they all look similar, except maybe the fort. A couple of the houses also look similar to Gottschalk houses I saw when I was trying to find the blog I'm thinking of.





Lastly are these two pretty Schoenhut girls.

Of course Tam and I had to get a selfie. I could barely see my phone screen because the sun was so blinding.

Tam was kind enough to gift me these three Ever After High dolls, of which I couldn't get a non-blurry picture. There is an Apple White in her original dress and bracelet, an Epic Winter Rosabella Beauty wearing what I think is a Disney Descendants dress, and a nude Cerise Hood. These three are going with the other EAH dolls that I want to customize or re-dress.

I got this Liv Sophie doll for only $2. I have two other Liv dolls, but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep my Liv dolls intact. That's a topic for another blog post, I think. In any case, $2 is a super price just for the clothes, shoes and jewelry.

 

I got this When I Read, I Dream Heidi doll for only $5. She has the same body as the original Barbie's little sister Stacie.

And saving the best for last, is this beautiful reproduction Jumeau doll, with a compo 10.5" body, made by Sylvia Butler. Her slip was made by me. She will be the feature of my next post.

*So I still have a few things from the last doll show that I haven't shown you yet. The main reason is because the vintage Skipper dress that I bought had a slight stain, that I was aware of when I bought the dress. I tried to get the stain out with a couple of things, and then I got busy and distracted by other stuff and moved on from the dress, and you know how it goes. I would like to show the last few things from last doll show soon, even if I can't get the stain out.

You've probably noticed that I've added ads to my blog. I think I have too many, and I'd appreciate some advice on how to place them, so there are fewer, because most blogs I see don't have ads in all the places I'm getting them. If they are taking away too much from your enjoyment of the blog, I'd like to know that, too.

11 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time at the show and found some great dolls. I do agree that the Liv doll for 2$ is a great price, even if it's just for the fashions. I never heard about the "When I read, I dream" dolls before, but love the idea behind the series, and the dolls that I've seen online look very cute.

    Ah, yes, I definitely know what it is to get side tracked from a project and never finishing it. I also have some dolls and outfits that need some restoring to do, but I'm always busy with other things and never get around it. If you ever remove the stain, I would be interested in knowing what worked for you.

    In general, ads placed "above the fold" (the part that is visible without scrolling down) would do better than those "below the fold", at least for the advertiser. I used to place mine in the sidebar with my old theme, but with the new one they're just automatic. I haven't really checked out the options in a while, but I think you can limit the number of ads if you're concerned about them being annoying. One thing that I did was to censor ads from the "sensitive categories", as I want to keep my blog "family friendly", so ads need to be "family friendly" too. However, I don't find the current placement of ads you have too invasive or that make reading difficult.

    Have a lovely new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this show, yes. In addition to buying things, it's just nice to see all the different types of dolls and clothes and furniture. I don't know if they're getting them in boxed lots or what, but I've seen several sellers who mostly have older dolls, and then a few modern ones off to the side that they want to get rid of. If one is a fan of the older type Stacie dolls, the When I Read, I Dream dolls are great, although I've also seen one head given a different body.

      If this last thing I tried doesn't work, I'm afraid that I'll never get the stain in the dress out. :( Oh well, the dress was inexpensive; it was a gamble.

      Thank you for your ad advice.

      Delete
  2. I stink at commenting but decided to do better about it. lol I already put a book about the doll show on Tam's blog, so this one is shorter. Sorry about that. I think my favorite doll is the Lenci doll. Her dress does seem heavy and thick, but since she's a doll it won't bother her. I love her face paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, bloggers love getting comments. It's nice to get feedback on what we're putting out into the ether. Lenci dolls attract me, but mostly because of The Lonely Doll and her book series. The dress first caught my eye because it is my favorite color. :)

      Delete
    2. How awesome! Blue is my favorite color too. My very favorite is rainbow but if I have to pick one, blue would be it.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy that you like the lake pictures. I always find myself taking out my phone when I am there.

    There is a huge variety at doll shows, from 1860s dolls to modern Barbie and American Girl. There were lots of handmade doll clothes; I had to keep telling myself that I can sew those and don't need to buy them! I realized when I started this post that the Jumeau needs her own post to do her justice, so her own post she shall get. Glad I could give you some doll show enjoyment second-hand. Thanks for your ad input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Kitty Collier. She reminds me of the Unsinkable Molly Brown character that a heap of doll companies made versions of in the late 90s, early 00s.
    Those dollhouses are beautiful! I wish I had enough room for a hundred dollhouses!
    I had that same Heidi doll. I loved that series. At the time it was the only way to get dolls that size that looked normal because Stacie was pretty cartoony at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kitty Collier's outfit is definitely inspired by that era. I know Tonner made a few Kitty Collier dolls in vintage outfits that weren't 1950s. I think one of the other ones was 1870s or 80s. If I was going to own any Kitty dolls, those would be the ones. At one point, I did actually want to own this version of Kitty, in the purple suit.

      I wish I could have checked out the insides of those dollhouses, but would also be afraid to touch one, considering how old and valuable they are. I think I'd like to own one or... two.

      You are so right about the Stacie dolls from the time that Heidi doll was made. I actually already own a Heidi, but for $5, I can change this Heidi's hair around, make her look different from the one that I have.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Barb, for thinking of me when you saw the Gottschalk. Your pictures of the doll show are great and enjoyed them very much. As well as loving Antique dollhouses I love Kitty Collier. It is so nice that doll shows are back again. I can't wait to go to one after this long dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you liked the pictures. I'm so happy that doll shows are back, and I'm looking forward to going to my next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that I always liked the Kitty Collier dolls too, but never had the money or room for them.

      Delete