Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Friday, February 4, 2022

New Clothes

Okay, I've had these clothes for a while, but this is the first time sharing them online. The first is an outfit by Mattel that I saw in a store and liked enough to buy. It came with everything that you'll see on the doll except for her hoop earrings. I tried to do a jaunty fashion pose, and it bombed, but here you are. I also posed Dani taking a bow for her virtuoso violin performance. :)






I'm not sure why the outfit came with two copies of Amazing Grace. Of course, I do have another Barbie violin, so I could set up a violin duet.

The second clothing item is a beautifully knit sweater (jumper) by DollClothesbyOksana on Etsy. She also sells 1/6th scale knitting patterns.



The sweater is gorgeous, but fairly tight to get on. The item description said that it was for a curvy Barbie, but I might put this sweater on other Barbie bodies from now on. Either that, or keep this sweater on this Barbie forever. Although she'll get mad at me in the summer.

In the process of fitting Barbie into this sweater, I learned that Curvy hands aren't meant to come off. Admittedly, I was prepared that they might not be able to be removed, but I didn't mean to tear the joint.

Oopsie!

Fortunately, I managed to fit the hand back on to Barbie's wrist. Trying to fit those sleeves over Barbie's hands without snagging the sweater was difficult, though.

I have been playing around more with my Cricut. I managed to successfully cut out all the pattern pieces on this PDF, which I turned into a .png, which can be uploaded into the Cricut Design Space. The pieces cut out nicely, even the little arrows at the top. However, I haven't managed to replicate this with just a few pattern pieces clipped from the entire PDF. I need to play around more, but I'm pleased that cutting out pattern pieces that I upload, using the Cricut, looks like a real possibility.

I also discovered that Inkscape and Cricut both use SVG files, or Scalable Vector Graphics. I am going to have to edit my previous post, because it looks like Inkscape may be usable with the Cricut. I just have to study how.

I also have to make more room in my craft/photography area, in order to be able to take better pictures. I definitely have lots to keep my busy, but that should include posting, too!

7 comments:

  1. Those outfits are really cute. Those mtm bodiescan be really annoying with hands. The fashionista bodies had more graceful hands and a tiny little bit easier to handle. But just tiny little bit.I hope you will solve circuit issue soon☺️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have some ideas for what to do with the Cricut; I just need time to play around.

      Delete
  2. Your new clothes are lovely. The dress from Mattel has a lovely print and Dani looks so beautiful in it. I love the knitted sweater with the tiny sheeps. I've been seeing lots of miniature knitted garments and I've been tempted to give it a go, but I really do think I should learn regular sewing first. I learned a trick from Atelier ni Shasha to put knitted garments on dolls. Basically, you have to wrap the doll's hand with a paper tube before putting the garment on, and that way her thumbs won't rip the garment. It's a bit tricky, but it works.
    Glad to hear that you're making progress with the Cricut. Hope to read more about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would second working on the sewing first. Knitting has its own learning curve, especially gaining the experience to knit something so small. It seems like Russia has a lot of talented knitters making doll clothes.

      I agree that the paper tube or something similar is a good idea, but part of the problem is that the sleeve is super tight on the doll's arm on top of the fingers splaying. I may have to try things out, because I really had to wrestle that sweater on to her.

      Delete
  3. I really really love the sweater with the sheep on it! It looks really nicely made.
    The other dress is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweater *is* really nicely made. I am so impressed by some people's knitting skills. And not only is the dress cute, but I liked all of the accessories that it came with, which is so rare with Mattel packs currently.

      Delete
  4. Next month we should start getting springlike weather, at least towards the end of the month, so Dani is ready! The knitter was very clever with the sweater pattern. Incredible detail for something so small. Our fridge barely has enough room for food as it is; Mr. BTEG and the Dancer are both big on cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete