Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Thursday, January 28, 2021

My Collection Part Twelve: Tonner/Effanbee Ann Estelle, Patsy and Mimi

I thought all of these dolls were made by Effanbee while owned by the Robert Tonner company, but I didn't see Effanbee on my new Dottie Delight doll's box. But in any case, here's my group of 10" dolls, often referred to as "tenners" among collectors. :)


This is Basic Ann Estelle, who I believe was my first Ann Estelle purchase. She and the other dolls from the Ann Estelle line are based on illustrations from artist Mary Engelbreit. Originally she came with a short blond bob, but I recently replaced it with a Monique wig, as the wig she came with is pretty dry. If the braids are on her back, they curl up at the back; the ends could be tied to the tops and would look something like AG Kirsten's. She's wearing a Patsy dress that I bought loose at the Robert Tonner convention that I attended.

Sophie was purchased next in line. I bought either her or Ann nude, as this is a basic Sophie, but I only have one basic romper. She had a red bow sewn into her hair, which I removed. Her face is really endearing to me. She may get a new wig, as hers is pretty dry as well. She's wearing a dress made by me.

I think Ann's baby sister Lilah came next. Lilah dolls are pretty rare. There was another Lilah produced as a centerpiece doll for a convention, riding a seahorse. I don't remember off the top of my head if there were any other productions. Lilah is wearing her original outfit, minus her tights, which are a bright red net, with large bright red dots woven in. Her sweater is removable, but the bodice of her dress has a loose piece of thread floating inside. She rattles when moved, like she has something loose inside of her. You might not be able to tell, but her legs are a little curved, so she's meant to be seated.

I bought Mimi around the same time as Lilah. Mimi was part of a line by Effanbee called Petite Filles. The other doll in this line was a brunette named Babette. I ought to buy one of those just because of her name. :) Truly, though, I did like the clothes these dolls were dressed in. This is Strawberry Cupcake Mimi, wearing everything original to her. Her body has bending knees, like the Patsy dolls, but straight arms like the original Ann Estelle dolls.

Patsy was a line produced by Effanbee, that hearkened back to the composition Patsy dolls produced by Effanbee in the 1920s-1940s. Patsy's body is pretty similar to Ann Estelle's, except that Patsy dolls have bending knees, elbows and wrists, as well as the standard shoulder and hip movement. I bought this Patsy with new eyes and a new wig. I ended up not being fond of the wig. It was a very shaggy short style, that kept falling in her eyes. I just got this Monique one, but I don't know that it suits her. It was up in two high pigtails, but it looked too happy and bouncy a style, to me, for the wistful look on her face. I tried to tie the hair in two bunches, low, but the hair keeps wanting to ride up, since that's how it was styled. I might get something new at some point, even more so since this one is a bit small on her. Her head and body are slightly smaller than the Ann line, though. The dress she is wearing is one that I made using the same pattern as the ones that Georgia and Sophie are wearing, but it swims on Patsy.

I bought Georgia wigless. She only came wearing a pair of corduroy pants with an elastic waist, made for her by the woman who was selling the doll, and had used Georgia as a clothing model. I like her new wig on her, although it's funny to see her with a full head of hair after being bald for so long. She looks so sweet in it, though! I also made her dress.

The next Ann Estelle is named A Bit Younger. She was made for the 25th Robert Tonner doll convention, along with a teen or young adult version of Ann Estelle on a 16" body, called Breit Nights. Both dolls wear age appropriate versions of the velvet dress with embroidered flowers, a petticoat with lace, white tights, and matching shoes and hair bows. This Ann's hair is soft, but extremely flyaway. I had to keep her away from my backdrop, or her hair looked she was touching a plasma ball. For fun, I'll include here a shot from the convention, of Robert Tonner and Mary Engelbreit signing after the Cheery Cherry Mary Engelbreit luncheon. I got A Bit Younger's certificate signed by both.



 

And lastly, I recently posted on how I was able to receive Dottie Delight Ann NRFB as a gift for Christmas 2020. I'm so thrilled to have her back in my collection.

You never know what you'll find when you're searching around on eBay. One day, I saw a small wooden cabinet with drawers, painted by an individual to resemble Mary Engelbreit's style. I posed Ann next to it, wearing the basic romper, so you can see what a good job the artist did. You can also see the size. I store things like the Ann dolls' glasses in there, along with a couple of cardigans I bought from eBay as well.

I think these "tenners" are all cute as a button. :) From basic to convention, I love all of them.

Total dolls: 53

18 comments:

  1. These are all delightful Barb, I love all of them. I saw a little Lilah on eBay a while back, but I didn't buy her as she was quite expensive. I do have another Ann Estelle coming though, she's a 10" Tonner Mary Engelbreit Pep Squad, fortunately she was in Australia, so no huge shipping costs. :) I would love to get a Sophie and Georgia someday, but not in any hurry. You did a great job of dressing your little ones and the wigs for Ann Estelle and Georgia are perfect, though I do have my concerns about the one on Patsy, it sort of swamps her a bit, but I know you will sort it out in the end. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked around on eBay at the Ann Estelle dolls, and there weren't many available! I did see one of the Lilah convention dolls, and she was quite expensive too. The Pep Squad Ann is cute; I think she has braids? I'm glad that you like the dresses, Xanadu. Saying the wig "swamps" Patsy is a good way to describe it. I am eyeing another wig style, but I'll also see if I can salvage this one.

      Delete
    2. I guess like all things, they come and go. :) Yes, she has braids Barb, she arrived today and she's a real sweetie, everything she's wearing is in great condition too. Maybe a few snips with the scissors will help with the wig (if you are game enough to do it). Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. What a bunch of cuties!
    I think I actually love that hairstyle on Georgia. And the dress you have her in harmonises beautifully.
    I don't mind Patsy's wig either. The combo of the wild curls and loose dress makes me think of some sort of Edwardian orphan story child.
    I love Mimi too. She doesn't look very Tonner but I love her look anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with how well Georgia's wig suits her. I made the brown dress ages ago, but I was thrilled when I saw how nice it looks on her. It's funny that you mention Edwardian orphans, because when I first saw the Patsy dolls, I described them as looking like little waifs holding an empty bowl of porridge and saying "Please sir, may I have some more?" Which is Victorian, but close enough! :)

      Mimi does have a unique look, although she and the other doll from her line go together nicely. You can't tell from this Mimi's outfit, but Petite Filles clothes were Victorian influenced, which is what drew me to the dolls originally.

      Delete
  3. Mimi is simply stunning, what a beauty! And Georgia's dress is perfect, absolutely flawless. Love your collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I made the dress Georgia is wearing several years ago, so I was quite happy that it suits her so well.

      Delete
  4. It's 1 p.m and I've meant to comment since 9 a.m. XD.

    Your dolls look lovely. I absolutely love the basic Ann Stelle with the long braids, she looks adorable. Dottie Delight is very pretty too, and with that color scheme she kind of looks like a child version of Snow White. I think Patsy looks good with that hair, the messyness adds some charm to her overall look.

    The wooden box is a great find. I'm looking for something similar to customize, but that would work for Barbie size dolls. I do agree that the artist made a great job and that it matches the dolls.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often late to commenting too, especially since I can only comment on blogs on my desktop computer. :)

      The braids really improved Ann's cuteness, in my opinion. Since I now have another Ann with a blond bob, I decided to give Basic Ann a new style. I can see where Dottie Delight would look like a young Snow White, especially with the red ribbon in her hair. That's two votes for and one vote against Patsy's new wig. :) I'm not going to leave the wig exactly as it is, but she might keep it still.

      It's too bad that you don't have more craft stores around you, as they have all kinds of wooden items to paint, although 1:6 compatible is more difficult to find. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, there may have only been two types of Lilah dolls made, so there aren't a lot out there. I'm glad that you like Mimi; she's kind of the odd one in this group right now. I'm glad that you like the dresses, too. I didn't do a lot of sewing last year, but more than I've done in a long time, so I'm hoping that I can create more clothes this year! Happy to share my collection with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cuties they all are. I feel like I should like Dottie Delight best (It's a name thing) but I think Georgia is my favorite. I like the wig you have selected for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that Georgia's wig was a good buy. I'm totally new to buying wigs for dolls, and I'm not sure how good I am guessing how a specific wig will look on a specific doll.

      I feel the same way about the Petite Filles Babette. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Barb,
    What a great collection of "tenners" you have! I think my favorite is Georgia, but all of them are absolutely adorable. I'm going to have to go back through your blog to see all of your collectin posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farrah! I'm having fun doing the collection stuff, and sharing dolls that haven't been on my blog in ages, or even at all.

      Delete
  8. Hello I was amazed at your collection my mother left me this doll and I'm desperately trying to find out about her her head is movable and her head is signed behind the right ear Robert Tonner however I can't seem to find a name for her any way you could help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to help, but I'd need to see at least one photo. Is there anywhere that you could post it?

      Delete