Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Let It Snow

Well, we got our first real snow of the season starting last night, into today, and boy, did we get snow. Here on the west side of Cleveland, we got about a foot and a half of snow, which means the east side got even more. If you're interested in weather (like RagingMoon1987) check out "lake effect snow." Cold wet air from Canada comes over Lake Erie, which is currently warmer than the air, and snow then gets dumped on Northeast Ohio. It's natural to me, because I've lived with it all my life, but apparently this phenomenon is only found in a few other places in the world.

I took this picture today, around 2:00 PM local time. The snow today was what we call "wet" snow. It's quite easily packable, which is great if you're a kid making igloos and snowballs, but it's *very* heavy to shovel.

I just took this picture before I started this post. The Dancer just re-shoveled the sidewalk when she got home from work.

Happily for me, I have many projects to work on as the cold weather comes in and the snow piles up this December. Some of it is human related, some of it is doll-related. There is another little girl in my life who likes the LOL Surprise dolls, so I will get to use up some of the fabric that I bought to use in a LOL Surprise little dollhouse that I made for a friend's daughter, back in 2018. Does anyone else in the Northern hemisphere have any fun winter projects planned? Well, I know TheMonsterCrafts does, but I bet she never sees snow like this!

13 comments:

  1. I really love snow like that...for about 15 minutes then it is time to go inside and drink hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't disagree! My mother would make hot chocolate for us when my sisters and I were kids and came in after playing in the snow. We'd all troop down the basement stairs to put all our wet stuff in the utility tubs, and then drink some nice hot chocolate!

      Delete
  2. LOL, I do love weather, yes! Y'all can keep that snow, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but think of you anymore when I think of interesting weather phenomena! At the moment, I don't mind the snow. I imagine as usual, we'll be pretty sick of it by February.

      Delete
  3. I've only ever seen snow once, that I can remember, and it melted as soon as it touched anything.
    So seeing this, I'm partly super jealous but also super glad I'm not somewhere where it gets cold enough to snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting that you care more about the cold than about the ice and snow. :) I can't imagine living any place where we don't have four seasons, myself. I have fond memories of playing in the snow, and sending my kids outside to play in the snow.

      Delete
  4. I hope we'll have a white Christmas too! This amount of snow this fast is a little unusual for us, but not very much so. We usually have pretty cold winters, but oddly enough around here, it gets "too cold to snow" when the temperature gets far below freezing.

    We always leave our Christmas tree up until January 6th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb! It's true, I don't see snow like that. Where I live it snowed back in 2017 and it was the first time in almost 40 years, so it's a very rare phenomenon when it happens. I did live in a town in the mountain for 3 years and it did snow two of those 3 years, but I don't remember it being so thick, at least not in the city centre.

    It must be lovely to have a white Christmas, despite the inconvinience of having to shovel the snow. Even your sidewalk looks like a Christmas postcard. Glad to see that you have some fun projects to work on while it snows outside. I do have some projects too, but I won't be able to start them until this semester ends, around mid January. I've asked Santa and the Three Wise Men to bring me some craft supplies, so I'm looking forward to receive them.

    Have a lovely white Christmas and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that we do have a white Christmas! It got warm enough here that all of the snow eventually melted. It wouldn't surprise me to get more snow between now and Christmas, though.

      I'm working hard to finish a knitted dishtowel that I am making for a friend. I was going to try to also finish a baby blanket by the baby's due date, December 24th, but the baby came just over two weeks early! So now I don't feel as much of a rush on that project.

      Delete
  6. Linda, Rachel, and MC, I am coming to live with you (laugh). We have a snowstorm coming our way this week. Someone told me it was going to be 12 inches. Ugh!!!! I am not ready for snow. I may have to relocate to Hawaii.

    Barb, I hope you have fun working on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that you could relate to the snow, Dorothy, even if you don't like it! I don't know when our next snowfall is going to be; I mostly pay attention to the weather day by day.

      I am having fun doing all my projects. I'm almost finished with one!

      Delete
  7. Snow always looks pretty Barb, but the cold weather and the slush that follows when it begins to melt, makes me so glad I live in a warmer climate.
    Enjoy your projects!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Xanadu! I prefer colder weather over the very hot weather that we get in the summer, plus I'm just used to cold weather. A bonus to having a cold season is not having bunch of snakes and spiders that want to kill us, though. :)

      Delete