Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Thursday, April 16, 2020

A New Light

I mentioned that I had ordered a standing photography light with a diffuser, and it finally arrived. I decided to take pictures of the new Barbies I bought. They're home spa-themed, which is pretty serendipitous for Mattel right now, especially since a lot of the other dolls that were in line to be released this year are movie dolls. I haven't seen anything official as to what Mattel plans to do with those dolls, since the movies they're based on have been postponed. I presume stores that are still open are going to want some sort of merchandise for their shelves, and then Mattel also has fulfillment contracts, so who knows?

Anyway, on to better subjects. I only had time to get a shot of one of the new doll sets, and I'm also including a picture of my new light. I need to do some more tidying in my area of the craft room, but I really, really, really wanted to try out my new lighting capabilities. This new doll does not count towards my collection count, since I honestly only bought this doll as a body donor. :) I thought you might like to see her and her accessories, though.

She came with the wrap around towel, the headband, a "rubber" duck, a faux candle, the puppy, neck pillow, a bath brush, slippers, faux cucumber eye masks for her and puppy, a faux magazine which is merely a piece of cardboard, only printed on one side, the mat, and that box with six colored spheres. I'm guessing those are supposed to represent colored bath bombs. There's another doll set that includes a bathtub, which I don't plan on buying.

And then here is the light. I have a lot to learn about what angles will work best to eliminate shadows, but I really needed a better light source, so here it is.

Once I get my craft area in better shape, I'm planning on photographing the other spa doll I bought, and maybe some skin tone comparisons, if anyone else thinks these dolls would make good body donors for a doll in their collection.

13 comments:

  1. I love heaps of accessories! Is she on a made to move body?
    That's a cool lighting set up. Working on a light set up is always on my to do list but somehow never gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she doesn't have a made to move body, but she does have bending elbows, wrists and knees, which is better than a straight arm, three-click knee doll. Plus, I think she and the other spa doll I have offer slightly different skin tones than the made to move ones, which might make for better matches to some of the dolls that I have.

      I really needed a good light for my craft area; my options were so limited. And waiting around for a sunny day is not optimal here so much of the year. :(

      Delete
  2. That light is very interesting. I'm a bit frustrated with the lights I've been using. Can you write a bit more about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I am so bad about taking photos that I always have shadows. This looks like an easy to use light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it pretty easy to use. I'm glad that it's working out okay as one light, because I really don't have space to set up two!

      Delete
  4. It is nice to get a doll with extra things. The light is giving me something new to do, plus I can take doll pictures at different times of day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to get this doll set just for the cute puppy and that adorable rubber ducky! Your pic looks great so I would say your diffuser is working good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are some cute accessories with this.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love getting things to help my photography Barb, but I get lazy and don't bother using them half of the time . . . so naughty of me I know. I hope you have many hours of fun with it. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xanadu, this light will be easier to use than the small table top ones that I have, so this one will allow me to be lazy. :)

      Delete
    2. So you find it's much quicker to set up then Barb? I have a light tent, but it drives me crazy having to fold it up again after use and its far too big to leave up. My lights are heavy and I think that's why I get so lazy. These days I take photos and just hope for the best. Now you can slap my wrist! LOL!

      Delete
    3. I don't plan on taking the light stand apart. It wouldn't take up much less space if I broke down the "umbrella" part and I'd have to do something with the light bulb to keep it safe. I have the stand right next to my crafting table, so it's basically just point (the light) and shoot. :) I have a light tent too, but I also find it problematic taking it down or finding space to leave it up. And the small lights I use with the light tent don't have diffusers of their own, so they cast a lot of shadow unless I can DIY some diffusers.

      Delete