Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Friday, January 4, 2019

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day Eleven: Madame Alexander Travel Friends

The BTEG family is very interested in foreign languages. Mr. BTEG studied Latin, German and Attic Greek, as well as being exposed to Italian growing up. I studied German and Spanish; Mr. BTEG and I went on a college trip to Germany together. Several of the ornaments on our Christmas tree have greetings in another language, so I thought they would be good for a photo shoot with a couple of my 8" Madame Alexander Travel Friend dolls.
My Germany doll poses with an ornament that says Merry Christmas in German, French, Italian, Spanish and English.
My Italian doll poses with an ornament that came in a series. There are only three ornaments; each has a boy and girl in representative costumes of the chosen country. Each says Peace on Earth on the front in the given language, in this case "Pace al Mondo." All three ornaments say Peace on Earth in English on the back.
Italy was the first one in the series, then Spain, then Poland. I really wish that they would have continued this ornament line longer. Only one day left of the Twelve Days of Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. Aw, I love the little Madame Alexander Play dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've definitely grown on me. I was kind of iffy about them at first, but I enjoyed getting these out and photographing them.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I am an Alexander collector and I did not know about these dolls. Now I want one, of course (laugh).
    I see that you have a new logo doll. She is beautiful. Is she a Kish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these are just play dolls, and they didn't stay in the market for very long. There are about ten of the Travel Friends ones and then they also did a princess line, and I saw a series of NASCAR drivers displayed at a Toy Fair, but I don't know how available they are. Being play dolls, they weren't very expensive, if you wanted to pick one up. :)

      Nope, my new header doll is also a Tonner. This one is 15" and has a "teenager" body. She was part of Tonner's Alice in Wonderland line; this doll was named "Reading to Alice," and she is Alice's older sister. She is wearing an Ashton Drake Gene outfit.

      Delete
  3. Ah we have a change of header . . . very nice too. Aren't small dolls a real treat, I love my 8-10" dolls they are so easy to carry in your pocket or handbag, you never know when you'll have an opportunity for a doll shoot. 😊

    I really like those very unique ornaments Barb, especially the last three. I agree it is a shame they didn't continue with other countries around the globe, it would have been a wonderful collection to have.

    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was about time that my header reflected the season again. :)

      You make a good point about doll shoots on-the-go. And these MA dolls have decent articulation, so they might be able to do some cool poses.

      I'm glad that you like the ornaments. I was extremely disappointed when I couldn't find an ornament from the Peace on Earth line in 1994. It would have been a nice collection indeed.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I love having all these ornaments in different languages.

      Delete