Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Craft Store Haul

This actual shopping trip dates from a while back. I wanted to take care of some other things on the blog first, and then real life went sideways for a while, but I still want to share my fun finds! A lot of these items are for spring events that have passed, but they're all re-usable, so that's no big deal.  I bought all these things at Pat Catan's, which only has stores in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Pat Catan's was bought by Michael's craft store a while back, but still maintains its own stores and identity.

This is probably the least successful purchase that I made, from a size perspective, anyway. The basket is very nice, and I knew it was going to be big for the 1/6 set, but I was hoping it would pass for a storage basket, the kind you have in your living room that you store blankets in or whatever. However, the basket is just too big for that. I'm sure I'll find some kind of use for it.
On the floor is a "magazine" that came with a Barbie fashion set. Basket is definitely too big to store 1/6 size magazines.

Next are some St. Patrick's Day/Irish themed pendants. They're too big for Barbie and friends to wear on a necklace, but I could make them work as decoration, either on clothes or in a diorama scene. I wanted to grab these mostly because they're seasonal.

Next is a jar of items which may not be exciting to most of you, but I think they might be useful for me, mostly for my Ever After High stories and dioramas. I bought a jar of twigs! Yes, I can just get some from outside of my house, but these don't come with any worries about bugs, and I believe they're treated so that they don't start coming apart, like I think most twigs from outdoors would already be doing.

Also in the not-so-exciting category are these small red and green doilies. I bought these because they were cheap, I think I will probably be able to make some use of them, and I thought I might as well grab them because these colors are seasonal.
At some point I showed you some blue and white lanterns that I bought.
On this trip, I bought pink and white lanterns, and a yellow birdhouse. All are good sizes for 1/6.
Unless you sew for your dolls, this pack won't mean much. It is a set of nylon plastic-y bars to press bias strips, ostensibly for quilting. Supposedly, a hook on one end will help you turn the strips right side out, which was the more interesting part to me, as it can be a difficult task, especially the smaller the strip. I do want to try more quilting, but I can also see bias strips being used on 1/6 dresses with straps, or even to make a Celtic design on an outfit. I might not have bought this set, however, except that it was on clearance.
I picked up some St. Patrick's Day scrapbook paper, since I knew that would disappear as soon as the holiday was over. It's not suitable for wallpaper, but I figured I could use it for decoration.
I did cut some shamrock shapes out to use as decoration for my St. Patrick's Day diorama.
You can also see green shamrock lights. Some of the most fun things I bought on my shopping trip were several strings of small lights, a good size for doll dioramas. Again, these are seasonal. I bought the green shamrocks, red hearts, multi-color flowers, and purple butterflies. Sounds like a box of Lucky Charms cereal. XD I want to pick up some red, white and blue lights soon for use in a July 4th diorama. I'm sure mini lights with those colors will be available right now.


Although these crowns are maybe a little small for 1/6, I had to buy them! I think they were only a dollar each, or less, so I bought four, two silver and two gold. Next time I go back, I might buy one or two more if they still have them. I'm sure I can find uses for them. If they were attached to something else (maybe a veil?), they might even look not too out of proportion, as a small crown to wear on the head, with some tiny jewels added. I think it suits the petite girl best as far as size. They would be cute as little princess headwear for Stacie size too.


Lastly, I bought a scrapbook paper book that I loved so much, that I paid full price for it! :O Or at least full price minus my Pat Catan's discount. It is a book of fairy tale style sheets, and although not all of them will work as wallpaper, I think they would all make beautiful backdrops for fairy tale dioramas, and of course the Ever After High crew will be perfect for this. So that's going to be an ongoing project for a while, creating dioramas one or two at a time and putting them up here. I won't put up any pictures now, as I want every new diorama to be a surprise! :) I'm looking forward to it, but of course I wanted to get this stuff up first. It's way overdue as it is.

These items are not doll-related at all, but I've talked about decorating Eastern European style Easter eggs with BlackKitty, so I wanted to show her this endcap display. I didn't pick up any of these things, because I'd already blown my budget on doll stuff, and because we didn't really have any room to decorate eggs for Easter this year anyway. I've seen these items at Pat Catan's for at least one previous Easter, so I'm hoping they'll have these items again next Easter. At some point I really would like to try the craft.

Do you have favorite items to buy at the craft store? How often do you get sucked in buying cool stuff you happen to find?

10 comments:

  1. Great items! The twigs will be very useful for your story! The lanterns and bird house and the crowns are great finds as well, so cute! The bars for bias strips looks like a very handy tool. Especially the hook to turn them right side out! It's so difficult to do otherwise.
    I often get sucked in buying stuff that may be useful for the dolls, in fact, I can't leave such a store empty handed :-). There's always something, like little flowers, baskets, chests (the unpainted wooden ones are my favorite), ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should make myself try out one of those bias bars soon, to see if the hook actually works.

    I've even got Mr. BTEG looking out for little things that might work for my dolls. You're right, there's always something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get lost in craft stores! Online, because our local ones are boring. I prefer combining shipping whenever possible, even if it's free, so I end up leafing through thousands of items in the store and discovering new things I didn't know I wanted. I usually buy stuff for sewing or nail art decorations (not for nails :D), but most recently I got a bunch of cool washi tapes with mini floor and wallpaper-ish designs. I am dying to try those out! All I'm missing is a nice big cardboard piece for the structure and an even bigger chunk of spare time. I hope you have better luck using your purchases. Thanks for the shoutout! I didn't decorate any eggs this year either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those washi tapes sound very cool! At this point, I feel like I can't have enough different kinds of mini wallpaper and floor designs. I remember some of the nail art decorations you have bought. Do you sew just for your dolls, or other things too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do small fixes and alterations, but that's the extent of my sewing abilities. Human size is not my format, I get lost in all the fabric. Even 1:4 is pushing it.

      Delete
  5. Great finds! I am not very crafty by nature so I always like to see what other folks do to get ideas. We don't have that store in my town but we do have Michaels, AC Moore and now Hobby Lobby. I am working on a project for World Doll Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have Pat Catan's and Michael's. There is a Hobby Lobby about 30-45 minutes south of us. Do you have a blog or a Flickr account or something where you will be posting pictures?

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your finds! Yes, I always end up with a few unexpected extras after shopping at the craft store. I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and came home with more scrapbook paper, some fabric, and washi tape (glad to know I'm not the only one using washi tape for dollhouse decorating!) Hobby Lobby runs tons of sales too which makes it even harder to say no��!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the washi tape yet but I'm glad to know it works :)

      Delete
    2. There is a lot of pretty washi tape out there! I may get sucked into that too! I hope I get to see what both of you guys do with it.

      Pat Catan's runs lots of sales, but they also have a free membership card which saves you money on every purchase. We saved so much money when we bought stuff for our daughter's wedding! I even bought fabric to make the skirt for her wedding outfit there.

      Delete