Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Friday, February 16, 2018

Happy Lunar New Year!


Our lovely model shows us the accessories I bought for the Lunar/Chinese New Year celebration. They are two separate ORCARA sets put together, from their Happy Chinese Festival Celebration series. Despite the name, the sets in this series are not all strictly Chinese/Asian festival related. There is an Easter/spring one, which I have, and there is also a Christmas set with some kind of large bird waiting to be carved. Which always reminds me of the Chinese restaurant scene from A Christmas Story. Although the bird in the ORCARA set, fortunately, does not come with its head.

Peanuts are apparently very common for Chinese New Year, and you can see those on the blue plate, which is the only item that did not come from one of the Chinese Festival sets. I believe the filling of the cake-looking items on the white plate, is pineapple.The red round serving dish looks exactly like a Chinese candy box for the holiday, that I found online. You will have to scroll down there to see the picture. I also took a clear picture of the character on the tea pot, in case any of you who know the language wanted to see it.

I don't celebrate this holiday in the human world, but I've getting more interested in some Asian cultures lately, and I thought the above sets would be fun for my dolls to have. I wish health and prosperity to all of my readers, no matter the season! :)

10 comments:

  1. This is a cute post. I'm not Chinese, but their New Year and the way they arrange it has always been fascinating. Thanks for the comments on my posts; the reassurance is nice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it fun watching one of my favorite YouTube vloggers make a couple videos on Chinese New Year, and I thought it might be a fun thing for my dolls to do. And of course, a lot of stuff can work all year.

      You're welcome for the comments. :)

      Delete
  2. These are such cute miniatures! That little teapot is lovely! Unfortunately I missed our local Chinese New Year parade today, but next year I'm going :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Chinatown area in Cleveland, but I don't know that they do anything for the New Year, because it's cold and often snowy here during this time. Little Italy in Cleveland throws a big celebration for the Feast of the Assumption, for example, but that is in August. And we have a huge St. Patrick's Day parade, but there is at least less chance of snow in March. And we also have a very large number of people in the area of Irish descent.

      Maybe you should take a doll to the New Year parade. :)

      Delete
  3. These are great! I love them.
    Not wanting to ruin the magic but I'm pretty sure the character on your teapot is mandarin for either teapot or tea. Which is cute but probably not very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The character on the teapot does look like the one for tea; thank you for letting me know. I had thought maybe it would be a word related to the New Year, like wealth, or happiness, but tea is okay. The teapot can be used year-round, after all.

      Delete
  4. Those are great miniatures! Can I ask where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these on eBay from a seller called fan21_hk. This seller also has his own webpage, where he sells complete sets. He currently has the entire ORCARA Chinese Happy Festival series for sale, eight boxes in total. He's only asking $24.50 for the entire set of eight, which is a great price compared to Re-Ment. Or just search the internet for ORCARA Chinese Happy Festival Celebration. It's an older set, so not everybody will have it. I'm glad that you like them!

      Delete
  5. What fun little miniatures! I especially love that brown teapot. The Asian Barbie you have is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; that teapot will look cute with lots of stuff. The head is from another doll, that I stuck on a Made to Move purple top body, because I liked this doll's face better. :)

      Delete