Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Shopping: Ever After High, Glue Head, Bratz

I've been wanting to post for a while, but I haven't known where to start. Hmm. Well, remember when I said I was buying Ever After High's Ashlynn Ella and Hunter Huntsman, back in January? I'm now up to ten Ever After High dolls in my collection. I've gotten really good deals on all of them, at least. Thanks to Tam's enabling, for example, my most recent purchases included Hat-tastic Cerise Hood for only 9.99 at Tuesday Morning. I also found some Nanotech blocks that I've wanted for a very long time, but wasn't sure where to find. I'll do a separate post about those, after I get some pictures taken.

At Toys R Us, I bought a Mirror Beach Ashlynn Ella. I love the doll, but she has an awful case of glue hair, the worst I've seen of the dolls I have. I've tried Dawn dishwashing detergent, tea tree shampoo, and baby powder. The baby powder seemed to help, but I wanted to wash it out, which made the hair feel greasy again. I very likely used too much baby powder. I'm tempted just to fix it with a re-root, but I'm nervous about doing it myself because of the tiny holes, and it's costly to have it done, not surprising when you look at the time involved. I'm just glad I got Ashlynn for half off. Not that I think she was worth her original price, what with no stand, not a lot of jewelry, and a simple bathing suit/skirt costume.

Speaking of quality and pricing, pictures are leaking of the new EAH dolls that are being produced this year. Maybe the reason they weren't at Toy Fair is because the quality has dropped in a big way. Darling Charming, for example, a major character whom collectors have eagerly awaited, has molded hair, and painted on pants and shoes. This also means his knees don't bend. Ugh! Several of the new dolls in the Epic Winter movie line also have painted on leggings. I read somewhere a suggestion that Mattel may be trying to fill in its range of toys for littler girls, now that the Disney Princess line has been lost, with EAH and MH. Thus, the more smiling faces, and fewer small clothing pieces to deal with. Not a good plan if true, Mattel. Get your creative team to be creative!

Although I was uncertain for a long time about getting Ever After High dolls, I'm happy now about getting into the line. I love bright colors, and EAH has those in abundance. The shelf these dolls are on really stands out among some of the other groups of dolls that I have. I'm trying to move my dolls around so they can be on a shelf where I can see them better. I'm actually kind of having fun with the overhaul of my sewing/books/dolls area. I guess that's good.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that TRU seemed to have all its Bratz merchandise marked down and piled in a big bin in the middle of an aisle. That doesn't seem to be a good sign, but I don't follow the Bratz market. Toy drama everywhere! :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention...I think! I have noticed that alot of the EAH and MH dolls I've seen lately have been missing the articulation. I too think that's a big mistake. Just as everyone seems to be demanding MORE articulation, they eliminate it from popular lines that had it! And if there's anything that puts at least older doll buyers off, it's painted on clothes. I wouldn't have liked it as a kid either. The Bratz thing is weird. (I don't buy them either, by the way.) I thought they were supposed to be getting a big re-do and a push?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I like Cerise, and she has great hair, so that purchase turned out well. :)

      The dolls that are out right now without articulation I think are all what is called "budget dolls." At least, the EAH ones are. That way you can get your child an Apple White or Raven Queen without paying $22.

      I wouldn't have liked painted on clothes when I was young, also. Mattel couldn't necessarily control it, but I think it hurt when people started buying Barbies and similar dolls for three-year-olds. If Mattel came out with a line of slightly larger dolls geared towards the younger set, that might work for them.

      Bratz did get a big re-do, and my Target store certainly pushed the line. But TRU has dolls that were originally $25 marked down to $9.99, so they weren't big sellers for TRU, it would seem. Even the shoe sets seem to be on sale. I'll have to look the next time I'm at my Target to see what the expansive Bratz section there looks like now.

      Delete
  2. Hello from Spain: I also prefer dolls with articulable body. In the head they have too much glue. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the glue! At least Mattel does not seem to be using it so much recently.

      Delete
  3. The last contemporary Mattel doll I bought was a yoga doll in December. So far it works fine for me. I still have glue heads to fix from previous purchases, I couldn't handle any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two yoga dolls have nice hair as well. Plus I got a Cerise Hood recently who has fantastic hair. I hope they're moving away from the glue, or at least instructing the factories to not just unload the glue bottle into a head.

      Delete