Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

My Collection Part Seven: Daphne Dimples by Tonner

As with the Sydney Chase sculpt, the Daphne sculpt turned out to be a very popular one. Daphne was introduced in the Effanbee Brenda Starr line. Brenda Starr was the name of a long-running comic book series that started in the 1940s. Brenda Starr was a newspaper reporter, and Daphne was a rival reporter. The Daphne sculpt was popular enough that a modern Daphne doll was introduced as Daphne's granddaughter. I'm pretty sure that was in the Tonner line.

My black-haired Cannes Opening Daphne wears a Franklin Mint dress, made for the Jacqueline Kennedy doll. The blond doll is Vintage Basic Daphne.


Red-haired Arrival at Port Daphne is wearing a swimsuit from another Basic Tonner doll. The brunette is Ultra Basic Daphne. She came in a basic white swimsuit, which I can't for the life of me find. She's wearing a Tonner top, sold as a separate, and the black skirt from the Signature Style Tyler doll. I got the Adirondack chairs a few months ago at a local store. Miniature Adirondack chairs are currently very stylish for home decor. Even human size chairs are used outside as decoration, and not to sit on (although of course you still can.) Anyway, those chairs are fairly easy to find in different colors and sizes.



Arrival at Cannes




Vintage Basic




Arrival at Port




Ultra Basic

Ultra Basic's face has yellowed, which is disappointing, but I love all four of these dolls. I reviewed Vintage Basic way back in 2014 here.

Total dolls: 32

13 comments:

  1. I think I like the blonde one best. Those curls are lovely. She'd look awesome in some kind of Lolita or Mori girl outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the Lolita or Mori girl aspect, but you are absolutely right! Now I'm thinking over all the possibilities.

      Delete
  2. More beautiful Tonner dolls, lucky you Barb! I like them all, their faces are gorgeous, actually Arrival at Cannes reminds me of a young Elizabeth Taylor. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel lucky, Xanadu. I was fortunate enough to collect them during their heyday; I bought Ultra Basic, Arrival at Cannes and Vintage Basic direct from Tonner. I sold off Arrival at Cannes' outfit; I don't regret it, because it wasn't really my style. I was wondering if anyone would see the Elizabeth Taylor resemblance. I think that's deliberate, but I forget why I think that. I've owned her for quite a long time now.

      Big hugs :)

      Delete
  3. What pretty ladies. I think Arrival at Cannes is my favorite. I love the Jackie Kennedy dress on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like the Jackie Kennedy dress. It came with a white wrap, but Franklin Mint used fabric that was a bit too heavy for it to drape properly. :(

      Delete
  4. Lovely dolls. I would say "Vintage Basic" has my favourite face, but I do like the fact that Ultra Basic looks so different from the others. Too bad her face has yellowed. I believe you can remove it with peroxide, but I don't know if I would take the risk of doing it, specially with more expensive and hard to find dolls.

    I love the Adirondack chairs look really cool and they are the perfect size for dolls. If I found them at a local store, I wouldn't hesitate getting a couple of them. I could also try to make my own, but I have too many projects in mind and too little time.

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a trick for de-yellowing dolls that I may try. It involves more than hydrogen peroxide, and I've seen it used on dolls with good results. I know what you mean about messing around with more expensive dolls, though. Ultra Basic Daphne isn't exactly rare, but the asking price for her on eBay is more than double what she cost originally. :O

      The nice thing about these Adirondack chairs is that they are made of a thicker wood, so they look more in proportion with the 16" dolls. I can relate to having too many projects and too little time!

      Hope you enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I like Arrival at Port because of her lovely eyeshadow, and her green eyes. I'm glad you're enjoying my collection posts. I realized once I started how few of my dolls a lot of you have seen, so I'm enjoying that. I hope you have a great weekend too, and enjoy your projects, if that's what you're planning on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a lovely collection. I dont even own one! I need to get on the ball and get at least one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! Tonner 16" dolls are well made, and they're nice to have in one's collection. I hope you can find a doll that appeals to you. Nice to see you again!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful collection! Tonner dolls were such a big part of doll history. I branched into the 16" range vary late, and I only have some newer designs on the Antoinette body. The older ones have a special charm though. I actually took out one that is in dire need of some clothes and put her on my desk after reading your collection posts. I wish they were as easy to clothe as the 1/6 dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All of my 16" dolls definitely need some clothes themselves. I'm hoping I can spend a pleasant winter doing all kinds of sewing. Tonner outfits were gorgeous, but so expensive! I couldn't feel comfortable spending as much money for a Tonner outfit, as it would cost to buy a couple of pieces of clothing in my size!

      Delete