Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Vacation and a Sewing Haul

Mr. BTEG very badly needed a vacation, and I liked the idea myself of getting away. So the two of us drove down to what we call in Ohio, "Amish country," and spent three days there. I don't know that all of my non-US readers have heard of the Amish. They are a Germanic-Swiss group of people who started coming to the US in 1730 for religious freedom. Generally, they eschew a great deal of modern technology, and dress plainly. The largest concentration of Amish in the world, is in Holmes County, Ohio, and there are lots of Amish in the surrounding areas. Mr. BTEG and I enjoy going to Amish country for the delicious meals; the good food to purchase, such as cheese, dried meats and apple butter; and shopping for fabric, and tools. There's also a very fine handmade leather shop Mr. BTEG likes to visit every time we go, loads of antiques, and beautiful Amish-made furniture.

Here's an idea of what Amish country looks like, taken from the back of one of the restaurants where we ate. The area is very hilly, and covered with farms, Amish and non-Amish, and clusters of trees.
The back of our hotel had a lovely walking path with a pond. We didn't get to use it, for various reasons, but it added to the scenery.
Since the Amish make all of their own clothes, and also do a lot of quilting, there are sewing machine stores and lots and lots of fabric stores. A great many Amish don't use electric sewing machines, but there are some Amish and Mennonites, a branch-off of Amish, that can. Anyway, there is a Bernina sewing machine shop that I love visiting every time we go. I've always owned Berninas, and they use needles and feet specific to Bernina (and Brother, I think.) It's nice to pick up needles and other notions in person, and shop "local." They also offer sewing machine tune-ups, cleaning and repair. They had an open Bernina on display, and I thought you would enjoy seeing what a sewing machine looks like on the inside.
Happily, even though most of the fabric you can find is for Amish sewing, and quilt fabric, there are also some apparel fabrics at certain stores. I bought some lovely knit fabric, some gauze fabric, some quilt fabric for doll sewing, some nice quality hand towels, and some patterns.
I also grabbed a couple of useful notions. One is called a Bobbini, and it's a way to keep your bobbin with your spool of thread. The diamond shape squishes together and goes inside the spool, and the bobbin goes on the little knob at the top. I also bought some very small fabric clips, to hold pieces of fabric together while you're working on them. I'm showing what they look like on a Barbie sized dress that I have to finish very soon. I have so many projects that I want to work on!

I also bought myself my very own sunbonnet (which is not standard Amish or Mennonite wear,) and a Cat's Meow piece that looks like the store where I bought all of that knit fabric and the patterns and notions.

I don't know if even most of you in the US have heard of The Cat's Meow. It's a company that's been around for decades, based out of Ohio, that sells decorative pieces that look like well-known buildings, basic buildings, and scenes. I have Cat's Meow pieces that look like the hospital where I was born, and landmarks of downtown Cleveland, the town where I spent the first 24 years of my life, and the town where the BTEG family lives now (that's three cities, just to be clear.) I also have a few pieces for Christmas, one of Santa driving his sleigh, and one of two pine trees. The black cat is always somewhere on the piece; I even have a pin that looks like the black cat.

Mr. BTEG and I came back very refreshed and ready to tackle everyday life again. I hope you all are doing well, wherever you are at in everyday life.

15 comments:

  1. The little bobbini is cool, I like the idea! Sounds like you had a nice time-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the Bobbini is a great tool to organize your threads! There are lots of ways to organize bobbins by themselves, but I like having them with the spool of thread that they came from. We did have a great time; it was so nice to be away from everything.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! The stores that I visited all such interesting sewing notions. I hope you can find those clips. I'm glad that you like the bonnet and the Cat's Meow store. I love my Cat's Meow collection, since all the pieces have meaning for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you were able to get away. I think we all need a spa retreat about now.

    When you are ready to travel farther to visit Amish country, when the world goes back to normal, come to Lancaster County!

    I am planning an imaginary armchair trip to see the Aurora Borealis. I am trying to decide who will be my travel doll. Oh, I just realized since it's only imaginary, I can take more than one doll. Yeaaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've heard about Lancaster County, of course. I'll have to look online and see how it compares to Holmes County.

      My mom talked about being able to see the Aurora Borealis lights in Michigan when she was a girl. Of course, they weren't at their full brightness, but Michigan is not that far from PA. :) I was going to take a travel doll on this trip, but I couldn't find the one that I wanted to take. It was a very impromptu event.

      Delete
  4. Hi Barb. Personally, I learned about the amish for the first time in the movie "For richer or poorer", which is probably not an excelent movie, but I was 10 or so last time I watched it.

    Good that you and Mr. BTEG took a little vacation. The landscape looks nice, it seems a very relaxing place to go. The sewing supplies you found are great,the fabric with the floral print looks good for a Barbie size outfit, but seems to be meant for quilting. The Cat's Meow store looks lovely. Do you think those would look good on doll photography?

    Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amish country is very relaxing, indeed. It's a good place to rejuvenate. The floral print fabric is meant for quilting, but I am one of those people uses quilting fabric to make some doll clothes. Don't tell anyone!

      The Cat's Meow store is only 9cm (3.5in) tall, so it's really too small for dolls.

      I hope you have a nice weekend too.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great vacation Barb! Yes, we have heard of the Amish people downunder and seen their beautiful quilts, though I have never heard of Cat's Meow (not in that sense anyway). It looks from the cute little store, that they have some lovely things. I'm pleased you are feeling refreshed. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xanadu, I figured most people have heard of the Amish, but I didn't want to assume. I'm not sure that Cat's Meow is a big thing outside of Ohio, but I haven't really looked. It's good to feel like tackling life again, for sure.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a great, relaxing holiday and that sunbonnet is very cute.
    I love the idea of the bobbini and the cats meow house is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked the sunbonnet! I might feel silly wearing it, but I'm at the age where I don't care so much anymore, and I'm not going to wear it about everywhere anyway. Everyone seems to like the Cat's Meow building! I guess that's why they've been sold here for so long.

      Delete
  7. We bought the kids Cat's Meows of their first school,which has since been torn down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least they have those for the memory, then.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a nice trip. I've heard of the Amish people but never seen any when on holiday in the US. I have never heard of those Bobbini things but what a good idea! I have those very same clips and they are definitely useful.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amish live in a few concentrated places in the US, for the most part.

      I think the Bobbinis are going to be very useful for organizing the drawer where I keep my thread. I'm looking forward to using the clips.

      Delete