Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Nothing Like a New Outfit

Mr. BTEG and I had to go to Wal-Mart a couple of months ago to pick up something he needed. I of course hung out in the doll aisle while he was shopping, and I found two outfits and an accessories pack that I had to bring home.


Rainbow High fans have been begging MGA for years for separate outfits (for that matter, most doll collectors want these.) What we got, however, was not the same fashionable, detailed looks that Rainbow High was known for, but simple sets that looked one step up from dollar store quality. To my mind, the pajamas set is the pick of the bunch. Meet my model, Priscilla.

 

Are these slippers cute, or nightmare fuel?
 

I got Priscilla for Christmas, but I've been terrible about blogging about my new dolls. I'll talk about what she came dressed in on another post. For now, she's warm and cozy and ready to hit the sack. The set also came with four barrettes, and a hair straightener and curling brush.



The pajamas are adorable, and we don't often see nightwear made for our dolls, so they're nice to have, anyway.

Next is an accessory set for Barbie, that mostly centers around sweets. Barbie chose this sleeveless plaid dress to model. What's up with the shoes, though? They look like you'd wear them with another type of outfit. I was worried Barbie might be as messy with ice cream cones as I am, but she's Barbie. She doesn't get messy. And her hair bow coordinates nicely with her outfit.


Next is a blue Popsicle, with heart-shaped glasses and an ice-cream shaped purse. That's a lot of sweets there, Barbie.

I don't gain weight, either.

The watch looks nice in this picture, but as gravity will have it, the heaviest part of this watch (the face) will slide around to the underside of Barbie's wrist unless she's posed just right.

Lastly is this all-purple beverage, a pink tote with a faux fluffball key chain and a faux cupcake key chain, and a strawberry-shaped wristlet.

 


It's a cute accessories pack, and everything in it is useful except for the watch. I guess the ice cream purse is a bit weird too. It doesn't look like something that you could carry anything in.

A new doll line has been produced, by a company named Far Out Toys. As you might be able to read on the box, the doll line is named LUV, which stands for Limitless Unique Vibrant. I'm guessing that the VP Sharon Zuckerman is probably the same one who used to design for Mattel, so that's interesting. However, the name of the line reminds me way too much of the late lamented LIV doll line. If someone produces a group of dolls named LAF, I'm going to riot.

There are four core dolls, and each also has a separate outfit made for her. At least they have the separate outfits thing going for them. Problem is, despite wanting to go with a fashion forward concept, and having a fashion show where human models showcased all of the outfits in human sizes, some of the concepts are a bit dated and don't always make a cohesive look, in my opinion. My favorite outfit is the one that I bought that was made for the doll named Autumn. I was hoping that my Pullip could pull this outfit off, but instead, the only doll body type I own that can fit into this is Ever After High. Ashlynn Ella is a great model, since she has the same basic coloring as Autumn.

This outfit has a boho feel, which makes sense, since Autumn is "the boho one." It also gives me images of strolling through Rome; perhaps some of that is because of the bag that this outfit came with, and the rose neck accessory. The shoes that were included do not fit Ashlynn, so I tried a couple of EAH shoes with her look.

Bon giorno. Il mio nome è Ashlynn. Mi piacciono le tue scarpe.

I'm impressed by the tulip sleeve in such a tiny blouse, but the (faux) pockets on the boho skirt feel a bit odd.


Her bag looks like a smaller version of a market bag. It's cute, even though her arm has to be posed rather high to keep it from falling off.



The shoes that came with this outfit do fit Barbie, even though they are a bit big for her.  I don't know how I would like them with the other pieces in this look. What do you think?

Do you have a favorite from my three new sets? I'm happy with all of them, even if I don't find every piece useful. Isn't that always the way? I'd like to get some sewing for dolls done this year and create my own things. The hottest days of around 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32C) this summer have really been tiring me out. Thank goodness for air conditioning, and that the temps haven't been even higher.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Barb! I cackled at the LAF part so hard Mr. Monster came into the room thinking something happened. I hadn't heard about those dolls. They look nice, but they don't seem to offer anything unique that doesn't already exist in the toy market. However, I'm always open to new doll lines out there that might come up with playsets that would work for Barbie.
    My favorite fashion pack is the pijamas. I didn't know Rainbow High had released fashion packs. I know they came out with a trunk with fashions a while back, but hadn't seen these. The main "problem" that I see with Rainbow High is that the fashions are going to be aimed to one character, since they are color themed (similar to what happened with Monster High). However, I do think they did a great job at keeping them more generic to the entire line with some of these, like this one or the cheerleader outfit.
    I too have been terrible at sharing doll news, or any news in general, since I've been gone for months, but I will try to catch up as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed the LAF joke. I wasn't sure if that bit of cutesy nonsense had made its way overseas. According to Zuckerman, dolls in the toy aisle right now aren't very fashion-forward. A dig at her former employer? LUV is supposed to feel straight off the runway. I would like to see a bit more going for them, and some playsets, like you said, would be nice. Did you like any of the playsets that MGA made for Rainbow High? Some of it could work for Barbie. It is a bit annoying to have dolls so solidly tied to one color, and I think Rainbow High is especially an issue because of the bright hair colors. Maybe that's why I liked the pajamas the most, because they have rainbow colors for lots of dolls.
      I'm glad that you have found the time to visit with the doll bloggers again. More opinions and photos and dolls are always welcome!

      Delete
  2. Hi Barb!
    Love, love, love the PJ's! The blue dress is pretty, but I'm not so keen on that pink roses skirt though, I'd be ripping those silly mock pockets off in no time! I find a lot of the costumes for these type of dolls looks cheap and tacky...and so badly coordinated.

    You get so many different dolls over there, many of which I've never heard of. I suppose in some ways that's a plus, LESS TEMPTATION!! LOL!

    Enjoy your dolls!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would agree that those mock pockets are a shame on that skirt. I would rip them off too, if the fabric wasn't so thin that I'm afraid the stitch holes will be too visible. At least when the belt slips down, it mostly hides the fake pockets. At least the blouse is cute, and well made for such a tiny size, smaller than Barbie by a good bit.

      Fortunately for me, I was not tempted by the new LUV dolls, but I'm always tempted by doll outfits. If anything, the quality encourages me to sew my own doll clothes!

      Delete