Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Monday, September 4, 2023

Ch-ch-changes

Today in the United States, it's the Labor Day holiday, and Mr. BTEG and the Dancer are doing some serious laboring today. As I write this, most of the Dancer's furniture is being unloaded at her new apartment! Pretty soon, Mr. BTEG and I will have a truly empty nest, which means we're going to be doing a lot of re-arranging and moving things around. In the meantime, posting might be a little light (not that it hasn't been for a while anyway.) Things have been pretty crowded and stressful here, but it's going to be great to spread out and have space to do things that I have wanted to for a long time.

To that end, Mr. BTEG and I took the two hour and fourteen minute drive to our nearest IKEA, to pick up some furniture for the new work spaces we're planning on. When we arrived, the power was out, and only backup generators were in use. The lights were on, the cash registers worked, but there was no air conditioning, and not only was the restaurant closed, but all the freezer sections too. So we wandered for almost three hours through a warm building, with only a lukewarm soda to sustain me. I'm excited about the new tables and storage that I bought, but I also picked up the IKEA Huset.

I bought the bedroom set several years back, but I never owned this iconic set until now. It's going to stay packed until we get my doll area in its final set-up.

This Saturday, I went to a few garage sales and an estate sale. At the estate sale, I found several American Girl sets, including Samantha Parkington's nightstand.

Long time readers may remember that I already owned the nightstand, but the drawer knobs weren't complete, and the towel rack was missing. This time, all the parts were there, and it came in its original box, too. For $15, it was a fantastic find. I also picked up a few other AG sets, which I'll share with you soon. Some of it I am keeping, and some of it I will try to sell. I will also sell the old nightstand that I own.

I hope my Northern Hemisphere readers are enjoying the weather as we move into autumn. To be honest, it's been quite hot here the past couple of days, but that will change soon enough. And to you guys down under, spring is coming!



10 comments:

  1. I think it's going to be fantastic having an empty nest, Xanadu. Right now, the best thing is that there's just so much room everywhere. I should have mentioned that we pre-ordered all of the big ticket stuff that we were planning to buy that day. School just started up again this year, so the availability of desks and such is greatly reduced. When we were at IKEA, we heard PA system for international university students who were shopping at IKEA with transport by a private bus, probably provided by the university. We spent some time picking out a new sofa we will be buying sometime soon, and we looked for things that would be useful for the Dancer in her new apartment.

    No, the estate sale was at a residential home. It was just like a garage sale, except there was a lot more stuff, and some of the rooms of the house were open to shoppers. There are many estate sales here like that, although some families go through the auction route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A word of warning, don't let that space deceive you Barb, it gets filled up pretty quickly. LOL!
      We do have garage sales, but I've never heard of any estate sales in someone's house. I imagine they would be great places to find dolly things.

      Delete
    2. You aren't wrong about space! Mr. BTEG has our two rooms measured out thoroughly and we've figured out what will go where. It's nice downstairs since the living area was filling up with things that the Dancer had acquired for her new place. She also took a pretty big piece of furniture with her.

      Estate sales in houses are pretty common around here. I imagine it happens because whatever's left is is not worth lugging everything to an auction house, so they hold it in the deceased's home.

      Delete
  2. Hi Barb! I assume it must be very strange to have an empty nest, but I'm sure you'll get used to it soon. I hope your daughter enjoys her new apartment and her new life.
    Wandering around Ikea with no AC in the middle of the summer sounds like a nightmare to me. I do own that set. Actually, I have two, and I took apart the cover of one of the sofas to try to make a new one, but failed miserably.
    Wish you a lovely weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird not having the Dancer around, and I also miss the cat, which she took with her. The cat has always been super attached to our daughter, so it was natural that she would go with the Dancer.

      By the time we got through with the top floor of IKEA, I could barely put one foot in front of the other. It was so hot on the second floor especially, but it was so hard waiting for Gino in the cafeteria, looking at all the drink and ice machines and wishing they were working! I remember you were trying to reproduce the slipcover for that couch. I wouldn't feel too badly about not being able to make the cover successfully; corners can be pretty difficult.

      Delete
  3. Dear Barb, the cycles in life are difficult to navigate sometimes. Maybe you don't exactly have an empty nest, maybe you just have a reconfigured nest. Maybe the universe is making room in your nest for others, like grandchildren, some day.

    I am sorry your shopping day was so hot. I am glad you at least found something to purchase that you liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Dorothy. My dearest wish is to have grandchildren someday. In the meantime, Mr. BTEG and I are enjoying our hobbies and interests and planning for the future. We enjoy shopping at IKEA; it's too bad there isn't one nearer to where we live.

      Delete
  4. Hi Barb! Congratulations on having that IKEA doll furniture - that heart-shaped pillow is adorable. Congrats also on finding the complete AG nightstand. I wish you joy and fun renovating your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana! I actually don't like the pillow - want it? I'm very happy about Samantha's nightstand. She's my favorite AG doll, and I have her bed too. Thanks for your well wishes; they mean a lot.

      Delete
  5. Hi Barb! Sorry I'm replying late. Oh, yes, if the pillow is still available, I'd like it. My email address is d7ana AT yahoo.com. Thanks for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete