Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Monday, January 11, 2021

A Paint Booth

I've been very frustrated with how few days there are where I live that are suitable for spray painting outdoors. Even when I paint things by hand, plastic items seem easier to paint if I've put on a simple coat of Mr. SuperClear or something similar first. I finally decided to buy a paint booth, and was pleased to find out that they are not as expensive as I had thought they would be. Here is mine, folded up, and open, with the LED lights that came with it on. The items on the turntable are parts of a 1/6 scale baby stroller for scale. I'm hoping that I can make some progress this month on all the things that I want to paint.


ETA:

I should have realized that not everyone would know what a paint booth was. :) Just to further clarify, there is a filter at the back of the booth, with an exhaust fan on the back side. I also bought a connecting tube set, that hooks up at the back of the unit. It is meant to be set up with one end in an open window, and sucks the fumes from the spray paint out the window, so you're not dealing with them indoors. The end of the tubing is narrow, so you only have to open your window a tiny bit. I am adding a picture of the back of the booth, and part of the tubing.

It is also used by airbrush artists, and a family friend uses his to paint miniature figures for his tabletop gaming adventures.

EATA:

Here is the link for the model that I bought. I purchased it on Amazon US. I hope anybody that is interested can find one! Also, let me know if this link doesn't work for you, since I'm looking at it through our Amazon account. It is the Master Airbrush Lighted Portable Hobby Airbrush Spraybooth with LED Lighting. Also, I'm pretty sure that I didn't pay as much for it as the price it is listed at now. I think must have bought it when it was on Prime.

16 comments:

  1. I never knew there was such a thing! Same here in Philly, I have a new can if shiny silver paint... But it's too cold and windy to take it outside. Have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in Philly, you know exactly what I mean about weather! And then, at least here, it gets humid in the summer, which is not suitable for spray painting either. This also helps with the spray paint fumes, which is great.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I didn't know such things even existed! It could come in handy where I live, because it's either cold or wet or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't realize that people wouldn't have heard of it. I think airbrush artists are probably the biggest users of paint booths, but it will certainly help me also!

      Delete
  3. When I bought mine, Mr. BTEG asked the friend that I mentioned above, if he liked the one that he bought, and if he would do anything different if he was getting a new one. He did mention making his own, but since buying them is easy and (relatively) inexpensive, I just decided to get the same one that he got. I did get the add-on LED lighting, though. It will be helpful to see if I've gotten a piece covered thoroughly with paint.

    I'm planning to repaint plastic doll furniture, accessories like plastic purses, shoes and jewelry, and also when I need to use Mr. SuperClear to repaint a doll's face. I have a Makie doll that needs new face paint; she's already gotten one coat to start off with, but she'll need one at the end, and possibly when I get to good points in the faceup and want to keep my work safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew they existed, but not that compact Barb. Any chance of a link to where you purchased yours, it's brilliant! I have only seen huge ones here, never any that small and I think we could all use one at sometime or other.
    Cannot wait to see the results of your efforts and here about your experience using it. I'm sure your dolls will also appreciate all their new look furniture and accessories too!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a link for you up above, Xanadu. I hope you can find something similar Down Under. :) I'm planning on trying it out tonight; hopefully I'll be able to!

      Delete
    2. Hobby Tools Australia usually stocks these, Xanadu.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Barb and Rachael, I'll check them both out. :)

      Delete
  5. Ooo! Nice! I've had my eye on one of these for a while. Actually the one I've been looking at looks a lot like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let everyone know how mine works out. I hope you'll be able to pick one up soon, if it will be useful for you.

      Delete
  6. I have heard of these but never seen one, they are interesting. Fortunately we are the opposite here in southern Spain in that there are only a few days when it wouldn't be possible to spray paint outside, but sometimes the humidity can be high which would cause a problem. I think this unit is a great idea though and very useful if you live in a damper climate.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, once the weather starts to warm up here, the humidity rises as well. I live only two miles south of one of the Great Lakes, which probably contributes? I've visited southern Spain, and it is gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that such an interesting purchase. I didn't know that affordable paint booths were a thing, most of the ones I've seen were rather expensive. This will really come in handy if you spray paint often. Even if the weather is warm, a slightly strong breeze might ruin everything. Is the stroller 3D printed or from a playset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the stroller from AliExpress. Actually, I bought a couple, so that I can paint them and make them unique. Spray paint is not working out as well with the paint booth as I was hoping that it would, as far as ventilation. The first piece that I printed also didn't go very well as far as the paint sticking to the piece, but that might be the paint, or the fact that I didn't prime the piece beforehand, as I used a spray paint that is supposed to be primer and paint all in one. I am definitely going to make this work, though, as I have a huge pile of items that I want to customize with paint, so I will post updates.

      Delete