Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Changes at TRU for 2017

I ran out to my local TRU a few days ago, to get the EAH Birthday Ball Cupid and Duchess to go with my Birthday Ball Blondie. It became imperative to get them, after I saw that Target is now starting to stock the same version of these dolls, only without wrist articulation. Now that the less articulated dolls are out, I don't feel safe buying the dolls on Amazon anymore, either. So it was off to TRU to get the original versions. I bought the last Duchess at my store, and there were only a few Cupids left. As with Blondie, I'm pleased with the dolls for what they are. They have all the EAH articulation, plus their hair is very soft and not too thin, and their clothes and accessories have some level of detail.

I thought TRU was only going to be going to be carrying the Wellie Wishers dolls, but it seems a good bit of my TRU has changed into an American Girl Place, at least for the modern AG girls! I feel perhaps TRU and Mattel are both feeling a bit of a financial pinch since they seem to be trying to milk the AG brand for all that it's worth. I'll admit that it was neat to see all this stuff in person, and I do like the two American Girl dolls that I have. This set-up at TRU makes me wonder if the historical dolls might be on the way out completely, although I have no concrete reason to believe that. I will admit that the latest historical doll release, Melody, seems to have been hugely popular, and Felicity is also making a return. Still, I've also heard AG is releasing a modern doll for Felicity's line as well. She is the character who will go back to Felicity's time for the "choose your own" adventure style book that other historical girl dolls have. I'm not the target market for these dolls, however, so whatever happens, happens for the American Girl line.
The display case model scheme was also carried into the Barbie aisle, which was just past the aisle that looks like a mini Claire's store. The actual Claire's store that was only a few minutes away from where I live, went out of business a few months back. But that's neither here nor there. Let's look at the Barbie aisle.
I guess you could also call this aisle the Mattel doll aisle, since as you can see, Monster High and Ever After High dolls are on the back left side of this section. People may not like the changes that are being made to Monster High, but I wish EAH was getting as much attention paid to its line as MH is getting. I can only assume the interest in EAH is just not as strong.

I didn't have time or energy to check out the rest of the doll sections, although I'm wondering now what they look like. I'm sure Hasbro has a pretty decent section with all the Disney dolls, except for Moana, who has her own large area near the front of TRU, since her movie just came out. I'm sure I can find an excuse to go to TRU sometime soon to find out. :)

14 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see if TRU are going to carry these changes out in their international stores as well. American Girl dolls have not been available in shops in Australia before, if you wanted one, you had to buy online or get an American friend to get one for you. We actually have a different doll called an Australian Girl made by an entirely different company but it is only available online or in some small, independent toy stores. I will have to go to TRU and investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Australian girl dolls are cute! Having AG dolls would mean a lot more selection in furniture and accessories, though. I also wonder if you will get the Wellie Wishers. Does Australia have any comparable doll in that size? I know "wellies" are very popular in Britain; are they the same in Australia?

      Australian Girl is committing major copyright infringement with those Anna and Elsa doll outfits, though.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the Wellie Wishers in Australia yet though I think they would be popular. We really only have the big brands like Disney Animators in that size. I haven't looked at the Australian girl site for a little while so haven't seen the Anna and Elsa outfits - they may not be made by the company but by some smaller supplier but yes, they would still be copyrighted.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I think the Wellie Wishers are popular because of the somewhat unique size. We have some who are close, like the Hearts for Hearts dolls, but people seem to like these new dolls too.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I hadn't realized how branded the TRU AG displays would be. They remind me of the mini-AG places in Indigo and Chapters bookshops in Canada (although those carry this historicals as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really feels like a mini AG store. I keep wondering if maybe the historicals are back in that far left corner and I overlooked them or something. Next time I'm there, I'll check, and make the correction if I'm wrong.

      Delete
  3. Your TRU is so spacious! Is it just a TRU or combined with another store. One of mine is combined with a Baby's R Us so I guess that's why they don't have as much space. However there is another one that is a stand alone and you cant get two carts down the isle at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store is a stand alone TRU, and it's been in this location for a few decades, at least. It must be hard to shop with narrow aisles.

      Delete
  4. I didn't go doll shopping for such a long time now. Looking at your photos I want to change it:) There is one TRU shop not very far from where I live and it's also stad alone one. I love going there for the ambiance.
    Hugs!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking at all the doll displays too! I hope you have fun visiting your TRU.

      Delete
  5. I wish my closest Toys'r'us looked half as good as this one. It totally looks like it has seen better days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does look good, although I worry because it is usually almost empty of people. Of course, I don't go there very often myself, not having many young children in my life. It's mostly EAH that's brought me back.

      Delete
  6. My Toys R Us doesn't look this good. This one is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will have to count my blessings that this TRU is near me, since it seems to be nicer than several others!

      Delete