Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Monday, November 2, 2015

A Walk in the Park

I've been a little out of it lately. I use a light box from about September through April, to help with my Seasonal Affective Disorder. Basically, when we get less sunlight here during these months, and the sunlight is less potent, my body wants to hibernate. A half hour or so sitting in front of my light box helps. But I hadn't been using it reliably, making me more tired and depressed. I'm trying to change that and get back to regular light box use.

ANYway. Meg and I went to a local park back on October 21st. This park is made for walkers, runners and bikers. There is a long paved path that takes you from one neighborhood to another, a paved path on one side which also takes you through one part to another of my town, and a dirt path. As it was a gorgeous day, there were lots of people out there enjoying the day, but no one seemed interested in what a middle-aged woman was doing taking pictures of a doll. Many people were friendly and said hello. Most of those people were walking dogs. A correlation perhaps?

The main path through the park. Doesn't this look like a magical place? I would like to get out here during the winter when there is snow on the ground and get a picture.
We found a few slender long branches (trees?) which had formed into arches. Meg discovered that the branch bounced up and down when it was pushed. She had fun "riding" it. If I weighed less, I would have enjoyed a little bounce as well.
The best place for photography, at least for me, came when we found a place where city park workers were clearing out trees. Not only did one of these large sawed up pieces make a great seat for Meg, there was a bench right next to it, which provided a comfortable seat for this middle-aged woman to take pictures. :)



We wanted to find some leaves that were more fiery, like Meg's hair, but this park didn't have a lot of those.

Lastly, a somewhat blurry picture of five does having their dinner in the park. Despite my area being suburban, there are an awful lot of wild animals around, including foxes and coyotes, of all things.
What I've been lacking is large blocks of time to go out and take pictures. This photo time was a rush job, done in between picking up my youngest daughter from school, and going out somewhere that night. Good planning and more energy will hopefully help with that. In the meantime, I do have some new doll purchases which need photo shoots of their own so I can show them to you. Do you find it hard to find time to set aside for doll photography? Or do you accomplish it in small bits?

12 comments:

  1. Meg seems to be enjoying her trip to the woods! I love how close her hair and the leaf are in colour - she's the perfect doll for this.

    I used to be better at making time for doll photography, but I've gotten out of the habit - your question is a good reminder to block some more time out for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem so perfect for fall, doesn't she?

      I've become better about photography since I started blogging.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do find it hard sometimes. I try to take as many pictures for different posts as I can at one time. Very nice photography and a real redhead cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grandmommy, I've started taking pictures for different posts at the same time as well. I really enjoy looking back at doll pictures that I have taken, some from many years ago, so that helps encourage me.

      Meg has really grown on me. I love her hair!

      Delete
  3. Meg is so adorable. I like that you take her out to photograph her. I need to do that with some dolls.

    I do like posing my dolls. I seem to spend more time trying to get dioramas up and making clothes than photos. I do think I need to find a way to manage my time and take more photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like Meg. She ended up being a great doll to photograph outside, and I'm enjoying it.

      Story dioramas seem like they would be more difficult than just taking pictures of a couple of dolls sitting on chairs. I need to make more clothes! However, I use the thought of how fun it will be to photograph a doll in her new outfit, as motivation.

      Delete
  4. Hello from Spain: nice pictures of the walk in the park. Fall nice photos. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like the pictures. It's very beautiful outdoors right now.

      Delete
  5. Hi Barb, I have always been curious about the light box and if it makes a difference. I always feel my anxiety go up a little starting in November and by the time April comes around I am really, really sick of winter. Last year I made myself go outside for a walk almost every day and that seemed to help so maybe it was really a matter of getting some sort of light on my skin!
    I think your photos of Meg came out really cute! I wish we had a walking/bike path nearby and I bet it will be so pretty in the winter.
    I struggle with finding time for doll photos as well. I almost always have my kids with me at the time and it's not very relaxing!!! Or I will take a doll outside during my work break and that always feels very rushed. In any event, I take photos of multiple dolls when I do manage to block time for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here there can be a week or so at a time with no sunlight, so I like having some way of getting the benefits.

      I'm glad that you like the photos. Right now I'm thinking how pretty the snow will be. I'm sure by March I'll have gotten over that. :)

      I do have an advantage in that my kids are older; one doesn't even live at home anymore. I do still have to drive the youngest around. I know what you mean about taking pictures of different dolls when you have free time.

      Delete
  6. Hi Barb, beautiful photos of Meg! The pictures where she holds the leaf are so adorable :-).
    I have problems in winter too, taking vitamin D helps a bit. I'm glad to read that a light box helps if used regularly.
    About the photo taking for the blog, personally I don't take enough time to make pictures, it's always last-minute rush :-).
    I look forward to see more outdoors pictures of your lovely Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I take vitamin D and use my light box; both are helpful in different ways. I just got bloodwork done, and even with supplements my vitamin D is still on the low side of good. :(

      If I'm going to get Meg outdoors in the winter, I'm going to have to make her some warmer clothes!

      Delete