Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Rainbow High Dream and Design Fashion Studio Playset

Since MC mentioned playsets, I decided to review the Rainbow High playset that I got for Christmas, which included a Skyler Bradshaw doll. This set is not exactly 1:6 scale, but then the Rainbow High dolls aren't either. I still think it's a nice addition to my doll displays.

This set obliviously includes items for sewing play, but first Skyler has to create a design. For this, she has some paints, brushes and a palette, what I think is a pencil, and what I think are oil pastels. She also has a large portfolio, with pictures that will appear when treated with water. She can use these on her worktable, which can be flat or tilted. Her work stool is not that sturdy. I didn't think of it until now, but I wonder how it would work for Barbie. She also has a potted orchid to give her a touch of nature.



When she's got a design she likes, it's time to start draping fabric and sewing her creation. She has a sewing machine, cutting mat, two pairs of scissors, an iron that sits kind of oddly, a rainbow shaped pincushion, a measuring tape, and a cup of coffee to keep her going. There's also some fabric included in rainbow colors. The tailor's dummy is a little odd. It's made for pretend draping, which makes sense since it's for kids, so there are no real pins, just these oversized pins that go into holes in the dummy. I think the ruler-like piece that has a circle on the top, sitting to Skyler's left in the second picture, is supposed to help insert the fabric into the slits in the dummy, especially some narrow ones in the back. I do like the fact that two pair of scissors were included. Anyone who sews will find out quickly that fabric should be cut with different scissors than pattern pieces or thread.



Since Rainbow High has a storyline for the dolls that takes place at an exclusive high school for fashion design and related studies, it makes sense that this playset is about designing clothes. It actually comes from a short series of episodes where Skyler wins a Project Runway type competition that included students from Rainbow and Shadow High. The stool can be used in many displays, and the work table could go from sewing to a computer table, a crafting table, or even a table for your doll to take pictures of her doll displays. :) The main item that I'm not sure I like from this playset is Skyler herself. To me, her head doesn't work with her body. Of course all Rainbow High dolls have oversized heads, but this one looks off to me as the other dolls I have don't. On the other hand, I hate to get rid of her, since blue is my favorite color. I'm going to try re-dressing her, and maybe a lip repaint. I'm going to include her in my collection count, since if I sell this one, I will probably buy a Skyler from another line that I like the look of more. What theme would you like to see for a playset?

Total dolls: 88

8 comments:

  1. What a nice Chrissy present Barb, I like all the accessories she came with, you could really make a wonderful photo story with her.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely got some nice presents last Christmas, Xanadu. I thought you would like the accessories since you're creative too. Yep, I could create a whole story of her creating and designing.

      Delete
    2. I've been meaning to ask you, do you ever repaint or modify any of your less expensive dolls? I saw a YouTube where the girl did some mods to a Monster High doll and she did a fantastic job. Her videos are very detailed and clear, so I then I watched this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7eyzdP1w4c
      Let me know what you think?
      Hugs,
      X

      Delete
    3. I do like those types of projects. I've never had a truly adequate workspace, but I will once we finish setting up my craft/sewing/computer/doll area this fall. I think fall/winter is a great time to be creative, and I'm hoping I can accomplish some of what I want to do.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice present. Enjoy Skyler the way she is, because Rainbow High is cheapening up very quickly. I don't like the direction that the line is headed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very blessed for Christmas 2023. I completely agree with you about Rainbow High's direction. If I was going to get a different Skyler, I would get an older one. I have a few ideas about how to "fix" Skyler that I'm going to try.

      Delete
  3. Hi Barb! I did read this post a few days ago on my phone, but didn't find the time to sit in front of my computer to leave a comment. I like this playset, the little accessories are adorable. And like you said, that's a very versatile table that could work in different types of dioramas. I do appreciate the realistic color scheme, instead of the overdose of pink we often get with Barbie.
    I do think that Skylar looks cute, but her outfit feels a bit stiff. Maybe if you change her clothes, she will appeal to you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like the playset. It is a lot more realistic than Barbie, although the RH logo is everywhere. I think Skyler definitely has to lose the mock turtleneck. The denim skirt is very stiff. For some reason, MGA seemed to think that blue=denim for way too many of her clothes.

      Delete