Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Doll Show Buys - Furniture

I picked up three pieces of furniture at the doll show, all at good prices. Let's start with the least interesting. It's an miniature old-fashioned icebox, a predecessor to the refrigerator. I got it for $5, but it's in worse shape than I thought when I first looked at it at the show. I might just use it as a sort of model for making my own icebox. I'd like one that could work with other scales, like 1/6, or mini Samantha's scale. She is in the photo because the icebox is from her era, but I think it's a little on the small size even for Madeline, judging by a real icebox that I saw at an antique store back in June.

Next is a chair. It's a bit large for most of the dolls in my collection, but I bought it because it was only $3! Samantha can sit on it, or it looks okay for posing one of my Pullip dolls.

Lastly, the best find of all, Samantha's Pleasant Company washstand, which I bought for only $25. I discovered that it is missing the drawer pulls for the drawer, but otherwise it is in fine condition. In my Pleasant Company catalogs from the 90s, the washstand would have cost you $38. There was also a "nighttime necessities" set for sale, which included a towel, a mini version of the book The Wizard of Oz, and a washbowl and pitcher. I bought the washbowl and pitcher secondhand years ago. The towel and book would be very easy to make myself. The drawer and doors of the washstand open.

Now I want to get another dust-free storage cabinet, so I can display Samantha with her furniture. I also have her bed new in box, although not original Pleasant Company, and a knock-off version of her school desk. It would be nice to have her out with her bed and washstand.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! It was great to come across the washstand, especially since Samantha is my favorite AG doll. Yes, this icebox is nice and straightforward looking. The real one I saw in an antique store had more detailed panels, but this looks just as realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb! Those are fantastic finds. The chair is a great find, since those are quite difficult to make from scratch. The washtand looks great, and you got it for a great price. The door of the icebox looks a bit crooked, but overall it looks fine to me. Maybe you could try to fix the door and it would have an overall better look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about making chairs, and this one has some nice details, too. I'm very pleased with the washstand find; I never thought that I'd own one. I could maybe fix the icebox door, although it has a couple of other flaws that don't show in the photo. But if I find the perfect place to use it, I could probably make it work.

      Delete
  3. This looks great! Doll furniture is always awesome, and wood3n doll furniture is amazing!
    I actually really like the way Pullip looks on that chair.
    How fancy your icebox was, was generally a function of how much money you had. My great great grandfather invented and sold a huge commercial sized walk in ice chest, in the 1890s. And one of the options was hand carved ornamental panels, but I’m guessing the average butcher shop probably didn’t bother with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doll furniture; I certainly have a lot of it! :) I knew the chair wouldn't be in scale for Pullip, but with her oversized head and poofy dress, it works somehow.

      That's cool that your great great grandfather invented something like that! Here in the US, there are big kitchen appliances made with old-fashioned looking panels on the front, but they are super expensive.

      Delete
  4. I never can pass on the good furniture deal☺️☺️☺️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Even that chair that is a bit large, had to come home with me for $3.

      Delete
  5. All good finds Barb. Chairs always come in handy no matter the size, your Pullip looks lovely on it, just as a child would on s real chair. Can you repair the ice box? It's very sweet and I'm sure you could find a doll the right size (just another reason to go hunting LOL!). The wash stand almost looks new, pity about the pulls, but if you hadn't mentioned it, I would never had known.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't enable me, Xanadu! I don't need another size of doll. :) I will probably try to fix up the icebox I have, but I do want ones in other scales too. I didn't realize the washstand came with pulls until I was looking at pictures online, but like you said, you wouldn't really know otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Do you send notices or newsletter sign up?

    ReplyDelete