Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Friday, August 21, 2020

My Collection Part Five: Tyler Wentworth by Tonner

Since I have many 16" Tonner dolls, with several different face sculpts, I'm going to only share my Tyler Wentworth dolls in this post.

I've never given any of my Tonner dolls names beyond what they'd been given. I enjoy looking at them, and dressing them, but they're not "alive" for me in the way that my Barbies are. They don't seem to have personalities to me. Therefore, I'm calling these Blond, Brunette, Redhead, and Vintage.

Blond was the Tyler sculpt in a wave of four Basic dolls. She's wearing the swimsuit and headband that she came in. That series included interchangeable feet, either flat or high heel. The feet are on pegs that pop in and out of the doll's leg. The flat foot also has some slight bending movement at the ankle.


Brunette was a special Signature Tyler, which I bought nude. Tyler Wentworth was a fashion designer, and her signature office look was a white button down shirt, a black skirt, black nylons, and black pumps. Brunette's signature look was glammed up; the shirt was satin with buttons looking like diamonds, the black skirt was covered with sequins and had a belt with a square buckle with clear stones, and the black heels were T-straps. The doll also came with "diamond" earrings. I presume the earrings came loose in a bag with Brunette, and the seller kept them with the outfit. I vaguely remember having to pierce a doll's ears to put earrings in, although dolls meant to have them used to have a faint hole in the earlobe already started.

 

Brunette is wearing an outfit which came as separates, although maybe the shoes and purse were a set? I took pictures of Brunette without the scarf, and of the shoes and clutch.

I think Redhead was in a wave of different sculpts, all in striped swimsuits, called Superstripes. I sold off the swimsuit, as I didn't care for it. Superstripes is wearing a green teddy from another Tonner doll, which was an exclusive to a specific doll store. The lace on the sides of the teddy is showing its age, and the straps never would stay up nicely on a doll's shoulders.

Vintage was a doll named Hope (the production's name,) who was an edition of 500 sold exclusively at an event at the Rosalie Whyel Museum of Dolls, to benefit a cause called Teen Hope. She came in a 1910s style dress, and she did having earrings in. Again, I bought her nude, and the seller must have kept the earrings. It doesn't bother me, as earrings for dolls this size are easy to buy or make. She's wearing an outfit that I drafted and sewed myself, although it was for a Gene doll.

To coordinate with her original outfit, Vintage has her hair in an up-do. There are several loose hairs; I think trimming them off would be the best way to deal with them.


Total dolls: 24

Xanadu has asked me some questions about the Tonner 16" line of Tyler and assorted, so there is more information below the fold.

While the original Tonner webpages seem to be gone from the internet, I found two good sources for Tonner 16" sculpts, dates, fashions, etc.

The first one is from Dreamhouse Dolls, which seems to have a very comprehensive list of every, or almost every, doll from the Tyler range. This includes dolls from different lines, like X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean, vintage movie stars, which used Tyler doll body types. The second one is a personal webpage, which has a lot of prototypes, and OOAKs. Both of these pages are incredible resources for the Tonner collector.

As you can see if you check out either of those pages, the original Tyler dolls had very simplistic face paint. I remember hearing that an artist named Sherry Miller repainted the Tyler face fairly early on in Tyler's production, and that style stuck with Tyler more or less from then on. Sherry Miller's name comes up a lot on the prototype and OOAK page, including a picture of a Kitty Collier doll wearing Sherry Miller facepaint. I also vaguely remember a OOAK Tyler bride doll being produced on the occasion of Miller's daughter's wedding.

Tyler was produced from 1999-2016. Tonner had produced other dolls before her, and other types of dolls, such as the 10" Ann Estelle line, were made during this time. Tonner bought, and produced dolls using, the Effanbee brand name, and also made dolls under his Wilde Imagination company. In 2008, Tonner rolled out a different face sculpt for Tyler, which drove at least half the "fandom" ballistic. It seems to have been used on only a small number of actual Tylers, and became the face sculpt for the Diana Prince/Wonder Woman dolls instead.

I was fortunate enough to attend the 25th anniversary Tonner doll convention in 2016. It was in Columbus, Ohio, which saved me a fortune on travel, since Columbus is only a 2.5 hour drive away. If you search "Tonner convention" in the upper left corner of my blog, you should see all of the posts that I wrote for the event. You will also see a picture of Tam and me; we attended a doll show at the same venue as the convention together, the day after the convention, and then had lunch.

Lastly, there were sewing patterns made for Tyler, by Tonner, and also by the McCall's Pattern Company. The Tyler one that I own is dated 1999. I think Tonner made at least one more of his own, but I couldn't say for sure.

 

 

Next are two patterns dated 2002. The black flowered dress and shrug are from an actual doll from the line, named Midnight Garden. I'm pretty sure the golden dress is made from the pattern. Then there is a pattern for Tyler's signature style blouse (which is actually a bodysuit,) belt, and skirt. There is also a jacket and clutch pattern to go along. I believe both of the dolls on the front of this envelope were production dolls. The drawing table, stool and accessories were also produced for a time. The table/stool, and the fabric, fashion sketches, scissors, etc., were sold in a separate pack. I *think* the fashion mannequin was probably for sale for a time, too. It would make sense. I know there was also at least one "closet case," and some clear hangers, available at some point.

Lastly, two patterns from 2005. The pattern pieces from M4860 are probably the same ones as 3701 from above, with the addition of the pants and dress. For the one on the right, I *think* the black and gold suit is from a production doll. The black and gold jacket is actually over a shorter version of the wine-colored strapless dress on the right.

 

I'm glad that I have the Tonner 16" dolls in my collection that I do, but it seems I need to make an effort to "bond" with them. They're gorgeous dolls, still valued by collectors, but I haven't done a lot with them. I could just display them, but they would at least need more clothes. Several of my dolls are still in their basic swimsuits. Some dolls I bought nude, or bought the doll dressed and then sold the outfit, because I didn't like it. However, if you've read my blog long enough, you've seen how much I like to have other dolls out and pose them, create for them, etc. I don't know what I will do, but I'm going to take my time deciding.

In my memory, at least the earlier years of Tyler were halcyon times. I got a look at the earliest Tyler dolls in an actual doll store! There were more doll magazines around, and you could buy some in an actual bookstore! Everybody on the Tonner forums would talk for weeks before and weeks after February's Toy Fair in New York about the new dolls. It was exciting and fun. There may be one of the old Tonner forums still around, but they went to registration only at least five years ago, probably longer, and I was never particularly fond of that one anyway. I guess nothing lasts forever.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Barb. Those dolls are beautiful, my favourite has to be the redhead. I love the idea of having removable feet, it's probably a better way to go from flats to heels than simply having articulated ankles. When I started collecting I didn't pay much attention to the Tonner dolls because they're were simply out of my budget, and when my interest in them started growing, they went out of business and my interest dissapeared. The idea of having patterns for sale is great, so collectors could make their own clothes. I'm not a fan of gowns in general, so my two favourites have to be the second and third.

    I also have dolls that I was super excited to get, but never really "bonded" with them. Sometimes, out of the blue, I get a renewed interest in them and I start featuring them more. Maybe after this post you start feeling more connected to them, who knows.

    Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dressed Tonner dolls were out of my budget for many years too. Fortunately, Tonner was good at releasing Basic dolls, which were less expensive because they didn't come with jewelry or fancy clothes. I also bought lots of dolls nude, or bought the doll dressed and then remade some of my money by selling the outfits. Splitting up a doll and her outfit was popular for Tonner collectors.

      Hopefully, if I make new clothes for these dolls, it will increase my interest in them. It also might bring out something different about their looks.

      I hope you're having a great weekend too.

      Delete
  2. I've always meant to get a Tyler, but somehow I've never gotten around to it. I haven't seen many pictures of the later Tylers but the early ones were beautiful. For some reason I always think of Tyler as a red head but picture her in the Theatre de la Mode outfit, even though that one was blonde.
    The swappable feet feature on your basic doll sounds really useful, but I bet I would lose them.
    Hearing you had issues getting earrings in makes me feel better. I got a Deja By doll AGES ago, and she still isn't wearing her earrings because I couldn't get them in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of Theatre de la Mode outfits produced, but I think you mean the one with a black top and pink draped skirt? It was nice that he produced dolls with so many different hair colors, but I think there is nothing like a red-haired doll, if her face paint is done well.

      I have a dresser drawer where I keep all of my Tonner stuff. I just have to make sure it goes back in the drawer as soon as I'm done with it!

      It's best to take a sharp pin and verrrry carefully make a hole with that first, before putting in earrings. I've bent at least one post trying to get an earring in.

      Delete
    2. Of course there were! I forgot. That makes sense since before that in real life Theatre de la Mode was a fashion exhibition a long time ago and all the outifts were based on those dresses. But you're right, that's the one I think of.
      I'm going to have a go at piercing her ears today.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the compliment on Vintage's dress. :) I think Tonner dolls look more distant because there's no "depth" in their eyes. I just realized, while I was typing this, that maybe the first Tyler dolls were kind of meant to look like mannequins. Tonner got his start in the "real people" clothing industry, so he would have been used to seeing his clothes on mannequins, or models who might have well have been mannequins. XD

    Robert Tonner is a perfect fit with Sideshow Toys, since he has always had a love for superheroes. He produced a lot of Tyler sized dolls as superheroes. I think his favorite was Superman.

    I will always have fond memories of my convention experience, especially since there are fewer doll conventions nowadays, and not just because of the virus. There are so many companies, like Tonner's, that aren't around anymore, so there are fewer conventions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these dolls are gorgeous, I particularly like the redhead, probably because she has a younger look to me than the other two who seem more mature and glamorous. I love to look at these types of dolls but because of their more mature look I have never wanted to own one. I have one Tonner doll and that is Dorothy from one of his Oz releases...and she has quite a youngish look really, and the Ellowyne body.
    I know what you mean about all the chat before and after new releases because it used to be the same on an Ellowyne forum, it was always very exciting before the new photos came out! And then once they were out it everyone chatted about which one(s) they were hoping to get. Now they do that on the Zwergnase groups but it did used to be really a big thing indeed for Tonner releases.
    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like the dolls, even if they aren't your cup of tea. I don't mind more mature dolls, but dolls like the IT Fashion Royalty dolls are a bit too high fashion for me. I have a Tonner Dorothy too, but she has the 12" body of Tyler's younger sister Marley, and also of an Alice in Wonderland doll line he did. My doll was made with Judy Garland's likeness, but there is enough of a difference that I don't feel like my Dorothy is "attached" to Judy Garland's portrayal or personality in the movie.

      Yep, everyone couldn't wait to see the pictures, and then there was discussion about what dolls you wanted to buy, what you were going to have to budget for, and trying to find pictures of the actual dolls people had taken at Toy Fair. There was at least one Ellowyne collector at my table at the Tonner convention, and there were Ellowyne dolls in the sales room. If I had known the Tonner Company wasn't going to be around much longer, I might have purchased more.

      Delete
  5. Barb, thank you so much for all the information, it's really good to be able to read about their history. I did find Dreamcastle Dolls and there's also the Ghastly Archive which has their release prices.

    It's such a pity you have done little with yours, they are really lovely dolls. Perhaps my current infatuation with Tonner dolls will help to rekindle the love you obviously once had (otherwise you wouldn't have bought them in the first place) I really hope so.

    I have found some Tonner dolls are not painted as well as others and some of their eyes appear lifeless. Have you ever though that repainting their faces might rejuvenate them and bring more life into their eyes?

    Love all the patterns too, though I find most patterns only inspire me to make my own, paper patterns always seem to get torn. When I make my own I use quilters template. :)

    Thanks again, biggest hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem to be getting interested in them again, Xanadu. Hopefully that will take me somewhere positive. I've thought about repaints for my Tonner girls before, but having someone else do a repaint is super expensive, and I have never done a repaint in my life. I wouldn't even know how to put more life into them, although I'm sure that would just need some study. Honestly, I have a super long list of things I would like to do, but I think I'm narrowing that down and making some concrete plans, so that should help. I am also working on learning how to paint in general. I've always had an interest in art, but between a whole bunch of issues, I never really took it anywhere, but now is my chance to work on and learn so many of the things that I want to accomplish.

      When I use any paper pattern, I always trace it and leave the paper pattern uncut, even for adult size patterns. Although, I have been cutting out the ones I'm buying digitally, as I can always reprint that. Even if I don't ever use those patterns above, at this point I think they're kind of collectibles on their own, especially the Robert Tonner one. I kind of enjoy owning them for that reason.

      Delete
  6. I so enjoyed reading about these dolls. They are new to me. They are so lovely. They look like they would be fun to dress.

    I heard about the Rosalie Whyel Museum and I would have loved to visit it but now, of course, it is closed. There are so few doll museums left. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I was able to show you some more dolls that are new to you. I think they will be fun to dress, if I can make them some clothes. :)

      I hope that all of the dolls that were in doll museums are at least still stored safe somewhere. Perhaps someday there will be a renewed interest in dolls and doll collecting.

      Delete
  7. I remember seeing the Tyler Wentworth and Gene dolls in My Favorite Doll catalogs and website. Then and now, I'd decide to limit my collecting to play scale dolls and action figures for space, budget, and sanity (lol).

    Maybe it's their closed mouths, but the Tyler Wentworth dolls feel cooler, more aloof than Barbies. I can see how you'd have more Barbies - yes, Barbies are my bias - but there's something warmer, friendlier about Barbies.

    Oh and I remember Yahoo doll groups, paper doll catalogs, doll magazines, doll fanclubs. Sigh. Those were great days. But I love the Internet days, too.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember the My Favorite Doll catalogs too! I think I got sucked into 16" dolls because of sewing plans. At one point, I owned some Gene, Madra and Violet dolls, and also had a few Madame Alexander 16" Alex dolls. Tyler and friends were the only ones that stood the test of time. For some reason, other people online were really able to give Tyler dolls more "life" in the photography; at least I thought so. Barbie dolls really are friendlier, though. Even if many of them are still far more attractive than the "average" person, they seem more like people who you would run into real life. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to realize how cold some of the Tyler dolls are, but I guess sometimes it takes time to figure stuff out.

      These are nice days, though. One of the things that I appreciate the most is being able to buy something like a doll sewing pattern or scrapbook pattern, and receive it right away through a PDF.

      Delete