Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Mattel Barbie Sewing Machine Desk

This set is one of those Mattel head-scratchers, or at least the distribution is. I saw it on someone's blog of new Mattel releases last year, and supposedly it was scheduled to be released for Christmas 2018. Mr. BTEG and the Dancer tried to buy it for me for Christmas, but couldn't find it. Early in 2019, I found it on Amazon, going for about $40. Then a few months ago, I saw it at Target for $9.99, and grabbed it. Mattel can be so weird at times.

So, this desk set includes the desk, with the sewing machine attached, the pink chair, a dress form, a measuring tape, two "thread" cones, three pieces of fabric, a tomato pincushion worn on the wrist, two hangers, a pair of scissors, a "fashion design" sheet, and a plant.
It's nice to finally have a realistic-looking machine in 1/6 scale, and the accessories are not bad, for Mattel. :) The machine will need some paint to bring out the details and make it look better, but at least it's not pink. The scissors don't open and close, and they're clunky. Wouldn't want to make the scissors much smaller for a kid's toy, though. The plant is cute, but kind of a "meh" accessory. I would constantly be knocking it off of my work space. :) This plant fits into a recessed circle on the desk.
The pincushion could also use some paint. The green leaves on top of the typical tomato pincushion are molded on, but not painted.
The desk would look nice with clothes hanging off of the hangers, but the desk can't be pushed all the way against a wall, because of the hangers sticking out. That's not awful, but I do keep wanting to push the desk up against the wall, and being stymied by the hangers. The dress form looks good from the front, but is only partially done in the back. It's also rather wobbly standing up. I haven't measured it to see if it is the right size for the Fashionista or Made to Move bodies.
The fabric has the feel of a spandex knit, but barely stretches. Each piece measures 3.5" x 2.5", or 8.89 cm by 6.35 cm. I really only like the polka-dotted fabric, but there is not enough there to do something meaningful with anyway.
The fashion sheet is weird. There's a hole in the top center, so you can hang it up on one of the two pegs on the "peg board" at the back of the desk. That makes the model in the middle odd proportionally to the other two, even if she is supposed to be petite. Also, the hole on the sheet is round, whereas the peg is slightly rectangular, with a rounded end. You can see by the slight wear around the hole, that I tried to get it on a peg, but didn't want to force it, as I was afraid that I would tear the cardboard.
This seemed like the perfect opportunity to share a Re-Ment sewing machine set that I bought quite a while ago. This set is number 6 of the March Comes in Like a Lion - Kawamoto Family Living Room series. In addition to the Living Room series, there seems to be at least a couple of other March Comes in Like a Lion group packs. These all seem to be somewhat related to a manga, which was made into a movie.

The main item in this set is a sewing machine, but on a slightly smaller scale than the Barbie one. Like several of the March Comes in Like a Lion sets, this one has a cat theme. There is a cat on the decorations along the bottom of the machine, and the brand of the machine is Nyanome. This is probably a take on the real Japanese sewing machine brand Janome, which means "snake's eye," based on the round bobbin that the founder of the company pioneered. Nyan is the Japanese version of the English "meow," but I don't know what, if anything, Nyanome means.
The Re-Ment set also came with a spool of "thread," a small basket holding a pincushion with molded pins, and a bag decorated with a cat face.
There is a sewing pattern, of sorts, included with this set. It's actually part of the small card that typically comes with Re-Ment sets, and since it's stiff paper, it won't bend very well, the way it is shown in official photos. I have no plans to use it, but since it does come with the other things, I wanted to show it.

What do you think of these two sets? Do your dolls do any of their own crafting, or design projects?

11 comments:

  1. I definitely like the rement set better, but I tip my hat to Mattel for acknowledging that some girls still like to sew in this day and age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Re-Ment set does have more charm, but I'm glad to own both. I would like to get the Dancer more interested in sewing, but we both have so many other things going on.

      Delete
  2. Oh Barb, doesn't do wonders for you when you bag a bargain? Congratulations, they are both cute additions to anyone's prop box. The Mattel set will be great for many different 1:6 scale dolls and I think if you add those personal touches you mention, they will probably be perfect. The Re-Ment sewing machine looks wonderful just as it is, but could be a fraction too small, but I'm sure you'll find use for both. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, all the Re-Ment stuff will find uses, as well as the Mattel things. I love sewing, so these are all nice to have.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy that you found what you were seeking and for a reduced price. That makes it extra sweet.

    I found a sewing machine set for my 18 inch dolls a while back. They haven't used it yet but they are happy to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the sewing machine sets that American Girl made, but they were pricey. I think my 18 inch dolls would like a sewing machine set, though, as yours do. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh! I could cry from jealousy! I've been scouring online toy shops weekly since I found out about this, and scrutinising EVERY Barbie aisle of every store and it's like it doesn't exist! . . . But now I just might check out the availability of Rement sewing machines instead!
    Did you ever see the mannequin things that the Fashion Fever separate fashions came on? I kind of wish they'd used one of those as a dress form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Rachael! I don't see why this stuff hasn't made its way across the ocean. Did you get the science or art desk sets there? Re-Ment has made more than one sewing machine set, so there's a good chance you'll find one.

      I have a mannequin that I think is from the Fashion Fever era. ?? The one I have wouldn't make a good dress form, as it's suspended from a pole that goes down into a base.

      Delete
    2. No science or art sets either. Boo!
      I had to check. I've got two different styles of fashion fever mannequin. One is a torso with upper thighs with a pole coming out of the back - which wouldn't work. The other one is a torso with one giant upper leg (like this dress form) and the pole goes into the bottom of the not leg bit. (Like the dress form) That would work.

      Delete
  5. I do appreciate that the Barbie playset is not completely pink coated, but it could use some touches to make it more realistic. Also, I don't like that nowadays the Barbie playsets come with holes for te accesories. When I was a kid they hadn't holes and I didn't have any trouble playing.
    The Rement one looks smaller, but in real life there are also mini sewing machines, so it could also work. I haven't seen or read yet "March comes in like a lion", but I've only heard good things about it.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely plan to spruce this Barbie playset up. And I don't like the holes, either. At least this desk only has one, but still.

    If I don't think that my Re-Ment sewing machine looks right with 1/6 dolls, I do have smaller dolls that could use it. Interesting that you have heard of "March Comes in Like a Lion"! I guess I might have heard of it, if I was into manga.

    ReplyDelete