Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Pullip Alice du Jardin Eye Mechanism

Since I'm adding six more pictures to show how Alice's eyes look in different positions, plus the mechanism in the back, I decided to just make a new post out of it. The original post is here.
Looking left
Looking straight ahead
Looking right
Lots of Pullip collectors like to repaint the eyelids with patterns like dots or stripes or even fancier designs. I'm not sure that's my style. Also, you can leave one eyelid open and one shut, to make her look like she is winking.

Lastly, here is what the changing mechanism on the back looks like. The lever in the middle moves the eyes back and forth. The rods on either side are what open and close her eyelids. I still had a bit of a problem getting her left eyelid back open. The rods pop in easily; I have a hard time getting them to pop back out. It doesn't help that I don't want to mess up her hair too much, and you really have to sweep it back just to access the rods. In this picture you can also see how her wig is rooted.
I think her changing eye looks will be fun for pictures. I've heard the movable eyes in Tonner's Patience doll are fun, except when they get too out of control and go cross-eyed or wall-eyed. Do you think you would like a doll with movable eyes, if you don't have one?

Also, Mr. BTEG glued Alice's shoe back together for me with Aleene's Tacky Glue.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad I helped you learn something new, then. :)

      Delete
    2. How did you get her eye back open?

      Delete
    3. Just kept working at it, and trying to move the rod to different angles.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if it's just the angle of the pictures but it looks like her eyes go further to the left than the right.
    She looks really sweet here, (I think sometimes Pullips look a bit severe in pictures)
    Good to hear her shoe was fixable. Hopefully it stays fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears the same to me. I'm going to double-check in good daylight tomorrow, but I think I had them moved to the right as far as they would go. I'm glad you like her looks. I like her sweet style too. I hope her shoe stays fixed as well!

      Delete
  3. I would never have made it if mine had hair like yours! You know I can't deal with hair! Mine has a simple bowl cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot to deal with, but I love it! She needs a hairstyle like that if she's going to be a Lolita doll, anyway.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that I love your Lir doll. I have him on my wish list, but I'm sure I won't get the discount deal that you did!

      Delete
  4. It's fun to have different eye position possibilities! She looks very cute looking to the side, or winking, and I like the pink eyelids.
    I have an old doll with movable eyes somewhere that still needs to be cleaned up. Her eyes have a bit of a will of their own lol! I think Patience has the same type of eyes. The system with the rods seems to be much more precise!
    Oh, and I have a Sleeping Beauty from Mattel as well, but she can only close her eyes and the mechanism doesn't always work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember a Sleeping Beauty doll with open and close eyes. I do have one where you could make her eyes appear to be closed by applying cold water. I also remember a 70s Barbie cowgirl who had a winking mechanism.

      I think the eye motion can add to the range of a doll's expressions. But it's also amazing how dolls with non-moving facial features can look different if photographed from different angles and lighting. Still, it will be fun to see what looks I can get from this Pullip!

      Delete
  5. I find it such a shame that I've only seen Pullips in photos. I adore their outfits but I'm not sure how I'd feel about the big heads and they are too expensive to just get one and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big head dolls are certainly not for everyone. There's a Flickr group called Pullips in Europe. Maybe someone is relatively near you?

      Delete