Dolls and Doll-related Items for Sale

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas Gift

I hope you all had a very nice Christmas. My family and I did, a very quiet Christmas which suited us. We also celebrated Eldest Daughter's birthday on the 21st, which makes this time of year even busier!

I didn't get anything doll related this year, but I did get a very nice gift that will help me create doll things: a new sewing machine!
My previous sewing machine was about twenty years old, so this is a serious step up for me! Eldest Daughter got my old sewing machine as a birthday gift, as she wants to sew more things than the few hand-sewn items she's produced. She then got a bunch of spare needles, fabric scissors, pins, and even a couple of patterns as Christmas gifts.

My new machine sews several very fancy stitches, which will be nice for both human and doll sized garments. It's something to get used to, though, sewing the fancier stitches, if you're not used to it. The machine slides the fabric back and forth to make the stitches, which was a bit startling at first. I didn't quite understand what the machine was doing.
I've been very bad about blogging here, which will definitely change. I'm going to renew my New Year's resolution of making four posts a month, but I also have at least one thing I can put up here this month. I also want to get the next chapter of my story up as soon as possible. Here's to a merry and productive Christmas season!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, can't wait to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm looking forward to sewing again, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and your family! The fancy stitches of your new machine are lovely! I think it will be awesome to try them on human clothes as well as doll clothes indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas! Yes, I used to sew a lot more human sized clothes, and I should try to do more of that as well as sewing things for my dolls.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's an impressive machine! Can't wait to see it in action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! Lovely new sewing machine...those stitches really do look fancy! No new dolls for me, either...trying to control the hoard and enjoy what I have this season. Looking forward to your new story and to see what the new year brings to blogland! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to pick up a few Pullips in 2018, but I do also have some dolls that I'm trying to move to new homes. I hope to see you around more in 2018.

      Delete
  5. Ooo! That is lovely! The fancy stitches look like they could be fun for all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm kind of getting overwhelmed with the possibilities! I'm going to have to pick one project and start from there, kind of like you do.

      Delete
  6. What lovely fancy stitches! Enjoy the new machine and the new year, with fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, how fancy! My machine is 20 years old and it will only do one stitch now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old one does straight stitch, zig-zag and buttonhole. It was great as a starter machine, but I'm excited to get something new.

      Delete
  8. My main sewing machine is now over 30 years old and still going well but it is getting hard to get parts so sooner or later, I will have to get a new one. I am always interested in new machines and what they can do so am looking forward to seeing what you make with this one. Bernette machines are good machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I needed to buy a new light bulb for my old Bernette serger. I had to settle for one that was about the same size, because my serger is old enough that light bulbs aren't made for it anymore. The old sewing machine that I gave my daughter is also a Bernette; I agree with you that they're good machines.

      Delete