Tuesday, March 31, 2015

New Dress for J-Doll Sewing Project

I just tackled a new sewing project, a dress for my J-Dolls. The pattern I used is made for Pullips, but of course, they have the same body as J-Dolls. The pattern I used is available here. I was never into the 90s grunge scene, but the pieces look cute, and the clothes simple to make. Well, about as simple as sewing for this size doll is! I did end up hand-sewing quite a lot of this. Finishing the edges to prevent fraying was problematic. I ended up finishing some of the smaller edges in an overcast stitch, done by hand, and the longer edges were gone over with a zigzag stitch before they were turned up and hemmed. Also, I discovered that these tiny pieces were easier to manipulate once I sprayed them with starch, and didn't start to unravel just from being handled. They also didn't get sucked into the sewing machine as easily. I've used starch before during the brief period when I tried heirloom sewing, and I'm glad it occurred to me to try it here.

I only have two pictures, and not too great ones at that. But I wanted to get this post up, and I'm trying to juggle my time between sewing, blogging, photographing, keeping up on other people's blogs, plus all the day-to-day tasks I have to do. I'm sure I will take better pictures at another time. Also, my model Holly's hair is a mess.



Despite not being entirely satisfied with how the inside looks, it appears just fine on the outside. I lengthened the skirt by half an inch. Next time I might juggle with the pattern a little bit more. Still, I'm actually happy enough with how this turned out that I'm sharing it on my blog, so that's an accomplishment!

14 comments:

  1. Cute dress! I never thought of spraying with starch, but now that you mention it I can definitely see how that would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The starch really did make a difference.

      Delete
  2. She looks pretty, and the dress suits her. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to really work through some of my stash of tiny print fabrics.

      Delete
  3. That's a cute dress! I really love the neckline on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The neckline is a little different from the standard dolly fair, true.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting your project finished. Nicely done! Are you opposed to using fray check to prevent the raveling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, definitely not. I just ran into a couple of problems with this project using Fray Check. One was that I used it around the neckline, but then the chalk pencil marks I had made to know how far to turn the neckline over became permanent. I'm going to line the bodice next time, so raveling won't be an issue there.

      The second was that the cotton fabric just soaked up the Fray Check, and I was worried it would soak past the seam and into the fabric that shows on the outside. This pattern called for only a 1/8" seam allowance. Next time I will try Fray Check again, and perhaps increase the seam allowance a bit if I want.

      Delete
  5. Barb, I love your dress! She looks so sweet and feminine in it. It is a much softer look for a J-Doll! You did a great job!!!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vwry cute dress:) I love the fabric:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been collecting a stash of fabric to make doll clothes for many years. It's about time I used it!

      Delete
  7. Adorable dress! Using starch is such a clever idea. I'll have to add this to my list of Things To Try.

    Also, I love that dainty blue and white print! So much so... that I happen to have some in my own fabric stash. I get most of my fabric secondhand, so I never know where it came from originally or when it was made. This makes it extra exciting when I see the same print in someone else's collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat that you have the same print! I got mine from JoAnn Fabrics, I'm pretty sure. They sell fat quarters of quilting cotton fairly cheap. I hope the starch works well for you.

      Delete